Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some (very) wide field images taken whilst at Kielder Star Camp...

I had a few days at the spring Kielder Star Camp and we were lucky enough to get some clear skies on all three nights I was there :) It wasn't ideal for long exposure CCD imaging but that wasn't a problem as I'd taken a DSLR and was playing with timelapses.... but here's three shots (all single 30 second exposures with minimal processing) using a Canon 6D and/or 7D with a Samyang 14mm lens - the Orion pic was using a 6D with a 50mm f/1.8 Canon lens (stopped down to f/2.8 I think...)

post-649-0-78689600-1425334102_thumb.png

Shot taken at about 4:30am - the light pollution visible to the lower right is from 'the North East' - Newcastle/Tyneside etc. It is visible with the eye but only just, the image does 'enhance' the NE glow ;) Cygnus is visible in the centre of the shot with Vega just above, Altair is also visible to the lower right of these just above the trees.

post-649-0-38353700-1425334290_thumb.png

A quick 20 second exposure grabbed before Orion vanished from my vantage point. I can't wait to see what a modded camera could do with this patch of sky but was still surprised to see just how obvious the Flame nebula near Alnitak on Orion belt is... There was a bit of cloud drifting through, invisible to the eye but noticeable on the images coming off the camera.

post-649-0-72675400-1425334531_thumb.png

I did a time-lapse aimed to the west/north west - this is a shot from this. Orion is obvious as are the Pleiades... I quite like that M31/Andromeda Galaxy is visible off to the lower right and M33 nearby :)

I'm not sure what the forum software is going to do to the pics so apologies in advance if they are a little blurred, they were sharp when they came out the camera!!

I did get a chance to play at doing some timelapses - if you'd like a look they can be seen here:  www.vimeo.com/jamesmackay

Be gentle, not only are DSLR's new to me, so are timelapses...

James

I think you nailed it!

Your white balance looks good, it's not over/under exposed at all, you've used the rule of thirds somewhat in images 1 and 3.

Although, I remember 30 second exposures leaving trails... Oh well.

Very nice "intro" into DSLR imaging James - The 6D is a cracking camera for this sort of thing...  :)

It's doesn't fit into my "dual" use model with the focus being on daytime and Wildlife with a bit of Astro which is why I have the 5DIII and 7DII and fairly soon I'm having the 7D full spectrum modified by Andy Ellis at Astronomiser... I have the filters needed to take care of UV/IR cut or IR Pass  as needed...

Just wait till you try it with a modded camera and the Ha starts "popping"  out at you   ;)

Peter...

Hmmm... glass... that the next obstacle. Peter's been very helpful but I do need some more of my own.

The three images are all single subs pulled out from my time-lapses, next time its clear I might work a little harder at getting some standalone images :)

James

Archived