SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginner Telescope Advice

Hello everyone!

I've always been a fan of Space and Astronomy but have only very recently gotten into the observing side seriously.

I've been using a pair of 20x80 binoculars to work my way around the night sky and get to know a few things here and there (northern hemisphere) and I'm feeling pretty serious about this as a hobby.

That said, I now want to upgrade to a telescope.

I'm pretty sure this happens to every beginner, you do research, you research some more, and then you're drowning in research only to come out the other end with some vague idea about what you want and no idea what's best.

I've done my research, and there are two/three telescopes I am potentially looking at:

Skywatcher Explorer 150P w/ EQ3-2 mount

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

They're the two i'm seriously considering, however I've also come across:

Skywatcher Explorer 200P w/ EQ5 mount

The first two are definitely within my price range of ~£300, however I can potentially 'save up' for the Explorer 200P at just under double the price. I'm edging towards the dobsonian at the moment.

I'd like one that works for both planetary observing and Deep-Space objects. Originally I was looking for a 5-6" diameter scope, but the 8" dob, I reckon, will provide not only clearer views, but will last me longer (I won't need to upgrade any time afterwards).

The 150P is going to be more portable than both the other two, that said, any telescope will remain mostly set up at home (My back yard's not too bad for light pollution and I do get the occasional dark sky), but i'll undoubtedly want to take it with me if i go camping (rarely).

At the moment Astrophotography is of little interest to me, like I said, i'm more or less new to this hobby.

Also, the Dobsonian seems easier to use and set up. Aligning an equatorial mount sounds like something I could get used to, but I don't know if I'd like to have to do it everytime I want to go out observing.

If anyone has any experience with any of these scopes, I'd love to hear your opinions, and some direct comparisons.

Thank you for your time!

(PS, I'm also taking into account the added extras i'll undoubtedly need, such as a collimator tool (will be ordering with the telescope), and potential eyepieces (of which i'm not worried about yet) just want to get the scope and start learning) - This could push the 200P explorer out of my price range.

Before you get jumped on realise that to an extent compromise is necessary.

The 150P on the EQ3-2 seems good but the mount is a bit lightweight for the scope.

Oddly the same applies to the 200P on the EQ5, the mount is better but the scope is bigger.

With both being bigger dragging to whole lot out and setting it up drive you insane quicker.

The 200P will "see" more, but I suspect not as great a difference as may be expected.

The 200P dobsonian has the bigger aperture but it is a fully manual item, equally at first so are the other 2 unless you get one with motors and/or goto.

Without the motors/goto the dobsonian is likely the easier option.

Next, how far in the back of your mind is the idea:- I can stick a camera on the scope and take pictures ???

If you say it is not then I simply will not believe you - sorry seen it too many times, person say I am not interested in imaging, then in 3 months asks how to attach a DSLR for images.

If imaging is hiding then consider the 200P on the EQ5. You update the EQ5 to motors and get a smaller scope for the imaging. The 200P is really too big for the mount and imaging. A Dobsonian is not suited to imaging at all, so any ideas of imaging means not the dobsonian.

Additional items: Collimator, and 3 but probably 4 eyepieces (I ignore the supplied items as they are questionable)

Hello and welcome to the SGL. I had the same problems as you when trying to decide on my first scope. I was lucky in that I joined my local society and managed to see some of the scopes available in action. Everyone who had the 150p had replaced the EQ-3 mount for something more substantial as they all had found it too prone to vibration and especially the effects of the Scottish breezes. In the end I settled for the 200p dob and I have never regretted that choice. It is very good for learning the basics such as star hopping and learning the night sky. The supplied eyepieces are not great, especially the 10 mm but they are usable until you decide what you want to observe and the best eps for that purpose. In the end it really comes down to personal choice. Good luck with your search

I use the 150P and have had a great time with it. 

If I knew when I purchased it what I know now would I still pick the 150P? The answer is a resounding no. IMO unless you intend to image a Newtonian scope on an equatorial mount is just too much hassle. The mount is easy enough to set up (it takes me about 10-15 minutes) but having to keep moving the scope around in the rings is something I could well do without. 

BTW I am in the process of deciding what scope to buy next, probably a Dobsonian mounted Newtonian.

Please take your time and try and see a variety of scopes in action (local Astro Club)

I like ronins advice if you just want to do visual observing then the 200p dobson skyliner hits a sweet spot. You can get bigger which means you will see more you can get goto which means you will find more at least until you have mastered the learning curve but bigger means less easily transportable and goto means more expense and taking power into the field, longer set up times and there is a small learning curve in figuring out the tech. the 200p is easily car transportable relatively cheap and easy to set up its relatively easy to use and find things if you are prepared to put the study in.

However as Ronin says if there is the slightest chance that you are going to want a camera on the end of your scope the 200p is not the scope to go for and neither is any dobsonion mounted scope unless you go for the goto variety. these can be used for plantary imaging and lunar but not nebula, clusters and the like.  To image things like this you need a decent eq mount with motors and better yet goto ideally something around the heq5 class of scope.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who's helped me out, some really good advice.

I ended up getting the dobsonian! I think it's going to be more fun to both use and learn with. Too busy at the moment to worry about imaging and tripods and stuff, I just wanted something that can get me far in this hobby with as little hassle as possible; this seemed the best route.

Archived