SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Struggling with the milky way

TimBarber

This is my first post on this site, in fact any site at all, so please go easy on me.

I'm just starting to realise that Astrophotography is really something that i want to get into. Sitting for hours trawling the internet  looking at the amazing images of Nebula, galaxies and planets has got me to a point where i really want to give it a go. 

I'm in the process of trying to decide whether i need a tripod or whether just a zoom lens and decent mount., which mount to buy, whether a GOTO setup would be good. To be honest the amount of information on the internet and the wealth of conflicting opinions is only increasing these difficult decisions.

I decided in the mean time i should use the equipment i have got.

Canon Eos 60D

Manfrotto 190 XPROB Tripod

Manfrotto Ball Head

Cable Release

18-55 iS 3.5 Kit lens  

I'm going to attempt the Milky way, star trails and the moon (Basically the only things i can do with my setup) and see how it goes.

I would really appreciate any comments or feedback, help or support if anybody can spare just a few moments.

Last night i tried the Milky way........It was so light polluted where i was i couldn't even be sure that i was photographing the correct thing. I used the above set-up at 18mm - 3.5 aperture - iso 3200 - 30 sec shutter. 

bright200056.jpg

I must admit i was a little disappointed as the picture looks nothing like these mind blowing images haunting me on the internet!!

PLEASE can someone tell me if this is the Milky way and if so why it look, for want of a better word, Rubbish.

Thanks in advance 

Tim

That looks pretty good for a first effort, better than mine certainly.

The kit lenses aren't the fastest, at f3.5 they can be slower than some lenses at f4.5. LP will also wash out your image. Those spectacular Milky Way shots you've seen were probably taken with faster lenses, often at very dark sites. This is the best I've managed with the kit lens in a single 30 second exposure:

10098389754_af240561f6_c.jpg

To get a better shot you need to either take multiple exposures and stack them or use a tracking mount for longer exposures - ideally both. This is 20 minutes (10x2 min subs) with the same kit lens on a tracking mount, using a modded camera with higher sensitivity to red nebulosity:

15162317261_02575e2c8b_c.jpg

You could experiment with stacking images taken from a fixed tripod, but it's a bit of juggling act between exposure length and aperture. Closing down the aperture a bit gives better star shapes and reduces coma at the corners at the cost of capturing less light. 30 second exposures give some trailing at 18mm so I'd try 15 or 20 if I was stacking.

A really dark sky is your friend when imaging the Milky Way.

This is a single photo - 45 seconds at f3.5 Iso 800 - cheapo Canon 1100 on a Manfrotto tripod.

The glow on the horizon isn't dawn its the lights of the only town around - Oban - 25 miles away!

post-33941-0-51864500-1412170935_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Archived