Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hunting Barn Owl whilst imaging/observing.

StuartJPP

Just had a Barn Owl flying slowly overhead, almost within touching distance as it was hunting. It no doubt saw me (as I did it) but it just kept on as though I wasn't there.

Awesome...totally silent, a sparrow at that distance would have been audible.

Had to laugh at one earlier this year that I came across one night on a quiet country road, it was in the middle of the road and had caught a rabbit but the Owl's claws were hooked so deep into it that it couldn't free its feet! So it flopped about for while (rather lethargically I must say, like it was a bit puzzled what to do about it) then finally managed to pull one foot free, whereupon it sort of hopped on one leg whilst dragging the other (complete with rabbit) slowly across the road and up the verge. It was so funny I had to laugh at the mighty hunter's indignity :) All the time my headlights were on it (which probably didn't help) as I waited patiently for it to move out the way. It sure wasn't about to abandon its prey though that's for sure, and I wouldn't be the one to go argue with it.

ChrisH

Try standing in a dark (dark as in cant see 3 feet in front of you)field holding a piece of meat on a triple thickness leather glove when this comes in to land. 

even for the size of him he still flies silently with no wooshing from the wings of anything. 

post-32142-0-92308100-1380300056_thumb.j
first few times was really freaky  :Envy:

I was imaging in a campsite field last month and went to go into the tenet to get something to eat at around  2 am. I saw a dark object on the ground and thought I must have dropped my woolly hat. I went to pick it up and felt the sharp prickle of spines.....hedgehog!!!!  I think it was attracted by the rubbish bag out side my tent.

I have had a Owl in the garden sit watching me do some viewing through the scope, never heard him but i did feel the air movement as he passed overhead to land, where my Obby is now the post behind had pellets ect on the top so it would seem i have a regular visitor, found this baby hedgehog wandering around my driveway on Saturday.....

20140823_112159.jpg

Archived