Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to Identify Solar Attributes

Pig

I was trawling the internet lately trying to establish a list so as I could identify some of the solar features.

It dawned on me earlier that the list may be of use to others likeminded solar observers like myself, so I have decided to post it.

Sunspots

Sunspots appear as dark spots on the visible surface of the Sun. Temperatures in the dark centres of sunspots drop to about 3700 K (compared to 5700 K for the surrounding photosphere). They typically last for several days, although very large ones may live for several weeks. Sunspots are magnetic regions on the Sun with magnetic field strengths thousands of times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field. Sunspots usually come in groups with two sets of spots. One set will have positive or north magnetic field while the other set will have negative or south magnetic field.

post-27910-0-61661800-1399741689.jpg

post-27910-0-88957300-1399741917.jpg

post-27910-0-20574800-1399742081.jpg

Faculae

Bright areas that are usually most easily seen near the limb, or edge, of the solar disk. These are also magnetic areas but the magnetic field is concentrated in much smaller bundles than in sunspots. While the sunspots tend to make the Sun look darker, the faculae make it look brighter

post-27910-0-92751600-1399741354.jpg

Granulation & Other surface detail

Granules are small (about 1000 km across) cellular features that cover the entire Sun except for those areas covered by sunspots. These features are the tops of convection cells where hot fluid rises up from the interior in the bright areas, spreads out across the surface, cools and then sinks inward along the dark lanes. Individual granules last for only about 20 minutes. The granulation pattern is continually evolving as old granules are pushed aside by newly emerging ones. The flow within the granules can reach supersonic speeds of more than 7 km/s (15,000 mph) and produce sonic "booms" and other noise that generates waves on the Sun's surface.

post-27910-0-58754800-1399741530.jpg

Pores

Solar pores are small sunspots that lack a penumbral structure. Because they are part of the early stage of sunspot evolution, they are important in understanding the mechanism of small-scale flux emergence on the surface of the Sun. The magnetic field lines in pores are almost vertical, however, the lines of force in sunspot penumbrae are highly inclined

post-27910-0-05007000-1399742039.jpg

post-27910-0-67530800-1399742434.jpg

Filaments

Filaments are dark, thread-like features seen in the red light of hydrogen (H-alpha). These are dense, somewhat cooler, clouds of material that are suspended above the solar surface by loops of magnetic field. Plages, the French word for beach, are bright patches surrounding sunspots that are best seen in H-alpha.

post-27910-0-09421400-1399742501.jpg

Plage

Plage is also associated with concentrations of magnetic fields and forms a part of the network of bright emissions that characterize the chromosphere

post-27910-0-55186500-1399743997.jpg

Prominences

Prominences are dense clouds of material suspended above the surface of the Sun by loops of magnetic field. Prominences and filaments are actually the same thing, except that prominences are seen projecting out above the limb, or edge, of the Sun. Both filaments and prominences can remain in a quiet or quiescent state for days or weeks. However, as the magnetic loops that support them slowly change, filaments and prominences can erupt and rise off of the Sun over the course of a few minutes or hours

post-27910-0-26078500-1399742325.jpg

No probs Skem and thank you :laugh:  I hope it will help anyone new to Solar observing identify the basics.

I am seriously thinking about taking a degree course on solar physics, I need to change my career path from quality management into something I have a personal interest in.

Yes I found that myself, I find simple is best as per the old Acronym - KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid :laugh:  This ensures everyone can get involved

Check out solarham.net

Technical but up to date on everything,I have it book marked :-)

Okies will do :laugh:

Hey that is really good site -- Cheers.

Ok a lot of the graphs and tech I don't understand but some I do as I'm learning. I like where you click on a sunspot and it tells you the percentage of a possible flare and what category. Glad you like pig :-)

Funny enough I have just been looking at that myself, it is a very good site.

Most graphs are fairly easy to interpret and if they are not don't waste your time on them. a good graph should be self explanatory.

No probs Skem and thank you :laugh: I hope it will help anyone new to Solar observing identify the basics.

I am seriously thinking about taking a degree course on solar physics, I need to change my career path from quality management into something I have a personal interest in.

Shaun, amazing to think it wasn't that long ago you took some convincing to get out and buy yourself a solar scope... Now look at you go!! :)

Great post, by the way.

Aaron

• 4 months later...

Archived