Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ITS ALIVE I TELL YOU ALIVE!!!!!!

twintin

IT LIVES :eek: :eek: :eek: . The frankeneq6 is alive and well. Thanks to Graham From Astrotec pointing out that the syntrek mount isn't compatible with the NEQ6. So i shot off to Maplins for a pack of RJ45 connectors, stripped the cable from the syntrek and fitted one.  Then plugged that into the Synscan from my HEQ5 and it all works :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:  A little noisy on the motors when slewing full tilt but i'm sure that can be ironed out with a little fettling but it's basically there. With the parts i've sold off the other mount it stands me so far the princely sum of £119.37 and i think i can get that down by selling more bits of the other mount. So all in all it looks like happy days all round and when i get back from my hols it's time to pass on the HEQ5 so keep your eyes on the classifieds in a couple of weeks. (unless Frank has a relapse!!!)

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you've got it working.

Can you clarify the problem with the SynTrek handset.  Did it come with one of the EQ6s that you cannibalised or was it from somewhere else?  I'm confused about the statement that the SynTrek handset is not compatible with the NEQ6 as I bought my NEQ6 with a SynTrek handset.

I bought the handset separately from the mounts. It may actually be a dodgy handset as it just flashes when plugged in and does nothing to the mount. I have modified the handset cable so it plugs in to my heq5 synscan and it is vary happy to control the mount. I was just repeating what I had been told on another forum re it not being backward compatible, which as it turns out seemed to be correct as the synscan works, but I couldn't be 100% on it.

I bought the handset separately from the mounts. It may actually be a dodgy handset as it just flashes when plugged in and does nothing to the mount. I have modified the handset cable so it plugs in to my heq5 synscan and it is vary happy to control the mount. I was just repeating what I had been told on another forum re it not being backward compatible, which as it turns out seemed to be correct as the synscan works, but I couldn't be 100% on it.

Hi Mark,

I found that post on the other forum and the information that you were given there is not correct - the SynScan and SynTrek handsets are both compatible with the NEQ6, the latter providing a more basic and cheaper option. 

Anyway, the main thing is you're good to go with your SynScan handset - onwards and upwards :smile:

Hi Mike

i saw that post thanks. I thought that was the case hence me picking one up, as i intend to run it on eqdir from the pc i just wanted to test it on the cheap. I assume the handset is faulty as once i made a cable up it's moving fine using the synscan. i'll be able to tell properly once it's installed in the obs and plugged in to the pc. Many thanks for your input though.

Mark

Well I received the omega brake disc to put the mount on but I decided I couldn't live with the difference in size between the top and bottom plate. So I have spent a good 30 mins filing the centre hole of my existing one out to 65mm!!! Certainly got a sweat on. Then I have drilled out the small bolt I was using as an az pin and put in a bigger one. When I get home ill degrease and remount it back in the obs all being well.

Archived