Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

seeing double ??

Hi all,

So I got a pair of Luger ST 10x50 bins for xmas, and only just last week got to really use them properly for astronomy.

One thing I was noticing though was that regardless of what angle I set the middle-hinge at, and despite setting right-eye and overall focus properly, I was getting two images, one in each eye, that I couldn't bring into conjunction together (and that was without the benefit of 7 pints beforehand !). Rather noticeable for looking at something like Mars, and closing one eye to see it properly seems to rather defeat the object.

Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

On a positive note though, as a primarily telescope and astrophotography person, I was very impressed with what I could see through the bins - the beehive cluster just pops, and I even discovered my own brand-new star cluster !  (ok, on checking the books afterwards, turns out it was the Coma cluster in Coma Berenices, I don't think I can add to the Messier list just yet)

Hi,

Unfortunately it sounds like they are out of collimation, probably had a knock in transit or slipped through QA like that.

The best answer is to return them for another pair as they are faulty, assuming you got them new that is?

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my wife was reporting the same issue, so I guess it's the bins.  Mind you, by the time she gave them back to me, the one eye was well out of focus too !

Not sure returning them is going to be an option to be honest.  Just been reading up on it, does anyone know where the collimation screws are on Luger ST 10x50 porro prism bins are ?

does anyone know where the collimation screws are on Luger ST 10x50 porro prism bins are ?

I would imagine that both the manufacturer and the designer do.

Oh. That's not what you meant, is it? :grin:

I'd be very surprised if they were not in a similar position to the images below.

post-358-0-92477200-1398245457_thumb.jpg

post-358-0-17178500-1398245464_thumb.jpg

Archived