Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Xbox Livecam

Twiggles

Well for the first time in months I finally had some free time and a clear night, so got the telescope out and decided to try the xbox livecam again. Not used this since early last year so its probably only the third time I've tried imaging with it. Kept it simple and tried the moon then jupiter.

Capture09_01_201419_18_44_pipp_zps9cd1c2

Capture09_01_201418_39_58_pipp_zpse579f3

Jupiter09Jan1945_zpse5d3af47.png

Quite happy with the moon ones, though probably overdone the wavelets? Jupiter has gone pretty extreme as well, need to work out how to try and get some colour in to it... Still, for £4 for the camera and what, a tenner for the adapter I cant complain. If nothing else the kids are chuffed to bits that we got clear images of something!

Thank you all for the comments.

Martin, I used sharpcap to capture avi files, (don't ask what settings as I can't remember!) only perhaps a minute or so at a time. I then put each clip through PIPP selecting the Lunar closeup option and leaving everything else set to default. After that it was the usual push through registax again letting that pick the alignment points and setting the clip limit. I just played around with the wavelets to see what detail I could get. I think the second shot had the gain or something set too high as parts of it are very washed out even in the original avi file before processing. Practice makes perfect though, and as I say for a budget camera it isn't bad. Hopefully I shall be able to get a good moon mosaic put together at some point.

Archived