NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter listening ?

Whats best for listening to Jupiter ?

I come across portable Shortwave HF reciever Roberts R809

http://rigreference.com/en/rig/3751-Roberts_R_809

It's got extention jack socket on it so was thinking making cheap jupiter antenna for it 

try listen for jupiter storm stuff log in 20.100 mhz.

just woundered what antenna be best to try make.

i was thinking making long wire hang it pretty high.

or maybe delta loop maybe or inverted vee drop down.

as can easy make them out wire.

got some galvonised garden wire 3 x 15 meter rolls

was thinking what i could make with that :).

and when jupiters over head tune in that radio and monitor signal on me computer. 

+ 1 for the dipole simplest and probably most effective positioned North to South. A radio that you can turn off the AGC is the best but going into a few extra £££. You will also be able to detect solar flares.

Good luck on the new project

Carl

Me SDR receiver can tune from around lowest 23 mhz - 800+ mhz using any modes using sdrsharpe.

and me portable radio Roberts R809 AM/FM Shortwave radio 0.153 - 30 mhz

i can log in the 20.100 mhz am which i read up is mostly used for listening

so was thinking making some antenna for it sometime and monitor for any signal bursts.

mite make the dipole antenna when get some coax.

Hi Cliff be in a radio ham my self I would have thought that a dipole would be the way forward ,for a cheap antenna ,also try and keep it away from the house modern plasma and LCD really do mess with rf signals

It will be interesting to see your results I have plenty of receivers and ham radios may give it a go my self

Pat

Has anyone any thoughts on a 'Slinky' antenna?

One of my other hobbies is SWL/DX listening and two yars ago I made one. I purchased a 'Slinky' and soldered a seven metre length of thin single core/multi-strand hookup wire and a phono/RCA plug (I use a Realistic DX-440 which has a phono/RCA socket for connecting an external antenna. I also use a Yaesu FRG-7 which has a SO-239. I attach the 'Slinky' to the FRG-7 using a SO-239/phono adapter). I erected horizontally internally on some nylon cord (to prevent it sagging) just below a ceiling from wall to wall. (I believe they can be erected ted vertically too!) Note: 'Slinky' antenna can be erected externally, but I have read and heard that they do tend corrode very quickly.

So my thoughts are, are they any good for Jupiter? - I suppose so! 

'Slinky's' are cheap, so quality of the materials used and your soldering etc will effect its performance. They are great portable antennas too, as they do not take up a lot of space in a case or travel bag etc, (just remember to have enough cord with you if you are a frequent traveller. You can erect it where ever you are).

Below is a short summary of what what I receved last year using the DX-440 from my home QTH:-

I found that early morning it is good for HF oceanic (civil aviation) and some MF radio stations in the USA. Also most of the day and evening/night it is good for the HF amateur radio bands too. I was listening to Sidmouth Observatory on 7???kHz during one of the open days with a S5 I4 N5 P4 O5 and a 'call' on 2182kHz (maritime distress frequency) from Ostend, Belgium at night/early morning. 

At some point I am planning to make a 'two-element Slinky' with some RG58/U coax and see if that improves my RX signals.

73's

Well Philip my thoughts on the slinky are (and you may not like it) :smiley: On ham bands to transmit you need to use a tuner which means its not resonant at any frequency, all antennas are a compromise if they are compact.

To get the best signal on a certain frequency especially Jupiter and the Sun a cut dipole will out perform the slinky.

I think the slinky antenna idea was from a ham who worked portable and wanted a compact dipole to pull out and work different bands but would have needed a tuner to work the bands. But for a certain frequency its a random wire. However a good idea for use with a tuner.

Just my thoughts regards Carl 

Created some wire antenna in garden :)  

I put ferrite block end of galvonised wire got i kind made it so goes along from hook on wall dont worry aint got no plasma tv  

going long to washing pole with hole at top fed it through that then futher along garden tied to fence with ferrrite block on end 

testing it at moment on me sdr on 24 mhz JT65 weak signals allways test me antenna's with that software wsjtx stuff http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

and seems to be working decoding lot signals with it  red markers is 24 mhz test 

other pink markers thats from me loft antenna i made for me cb radio since i got thunderpole for that i using loft antenna sometimes on me sdr as picks all sidebands up and that :)

also got me HB9CV for meteors which started to now just monitor through night.

good them pink markers how far me loft antenna just gets also decoding the signals.

you can monitor my reception reports from here me .

http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html?preset&callsign=MA3065SWL

1422621_10152039657212288_773626030_n.jp

will have to test the wire antenna on me portable radio see if gets out.

Ok on the above but LCD plasma TVs on my street cuse problems you can see the noise on the sing all meter as for ferrite rings blocks

Are to stop unwanted RF from transmit signal to stop TVs and radios picking up rf not sure why you would use them ,as they cut signal down not up,but if you feel better use in them crack on,also cut a antenna to length you would get a better signal am sure great stuff have you processed any data yet

Pat

Still working on it at moment got me sdr receiever and speclab monitoring meteors which allready know how to do 

at moment using G-r-a-v-e-s space radar 143.049 mhz thing.

i just need to make audio cable from me portable radio to me numark mixer which is allready connected to me computers input then create speclab screen or download some jupiters software for monitoring.

then will start monitoring white noise on me speclab screens couple hours later check screen grabs if gets any peaks.

Very interesting result 

got some kind meteor detection at 20.100 mhz am 

and exact same detection also from G-r-a-v-e-s 143.049mhz 

Here me screen grab for me 20.100mhz am Radio Roberts R809 monitoring with speclab

1458641_10152041470007288_152242444_n.jp

And now me RTL-SDR R820T with SDRSharp software tuned to

G-r-a-v-e-s 143.049mhz detection same monitoring with speclab.

1450116_10152041480692288_650641143_n.jpThats very interesting.

Thanks for your feedback Carl Reade. No offence. Just one quick question if I may ask as I seem to get a different answer from every radio ham & amatuer radio dealer that I ask. I understand the idea of an ATU is to match the impedence of an antenna and its feeder to the TX frequency. So my question is:-

Is it necessary to have an ATU for RX only?

I have seen MFJ do one or two for SWL/HF RX only.

73's

Thanks for your feedback Carl Reade. No offence. Just one quick question if I may ask as I seem to get a different answer from every radio ham & amatuer radio dealer that I ask. I understand the idea of an ATU is to match the impedence of an antenna and its feeder to the TX frequency. So my question is:-

Is it necessary to have an ATU for RX only?

I have seen MFJ do one or two for SWL/HF RX only.

73's

Hi Philip, yes unfortunatley a lot in the Ham community tend to believe manufacturers antenna specs when they in reality are long piece of metal with a balun at the end well over priced and probably putting 10% of your power at most. The rest goes to making heat in the gizmos they add to the antenna just to match it on all bands. The ATU is very useful on TX as it protects your radio from bad mismatch ending up in blown finals :sad:

In my opinion you dont require an ATU for receiving, metal or wire will receive a signal but, will receive it a lot stronger if cut to the right frequency or wave length you want to listen to. The ATU on receive will cut out noise when tuning and help with increasing the signal to a degree.

If you wanted multiple frequency use out of a wire it would need to be cut to the lowest frequency to get the best and the ATU can be used to fine tune the higher frequencies.

Height above ground also plays a large part but thats another story. I think the answer is if you want a random wire to cover a lot of the bands a tuner will help.

Hope this is useful and just my thoughts :smiley:

Carl

Archived