Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My zero cost Dob base

jason.p

Having been laid off for the last six weeks with a broken bone in my foot I thought I'd have a go at making a Dob mount out what I could find around the place.

My first problem was that I didn't have any spare tube rings, so I made some from scrap wood.

Posted Image

I then attached the rollers which are ply.

Posted Image

The frame is some old Dexion style angle, welded and bolted.

Posted Image

For the turntable I used an old lathe pulley for the bearing, and made a stub axle for it to spin on

Posted Image

I used thin polythene washers to adjust the friction. This was a bit tricky but seems ok.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the result, although it has yet to be tested for real.

There are some improvements I could make. Where I used softwood in places, I would replace with hard wood.

The frame could be a bit smaller, it is heavier than I expected.

Posted Image

Hopefully I'll be back in action in a week. Just time for another project. Now let me think............!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

I like it ... But I'd be paranoid about the wooden tube rings breaking

Yes. I see the softwood parts are a weak point. If it works ok, and I like using it, I'll replace with a good quality ply. I only had enough to make the wheels and wheel supports with the ply I had.

Thanks for comment.

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Archived