Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT, PHD and ASCOM telescope driver problem

michaelmorris

Try as I might, i can't get my computer to allow PHD and APT to connect to the ASCOM drivers for my old LX200 at the same time (so that I can dither between sub-frames). I've enabled the server mode on PHD; I've tried connecting to the scope through PHD then APT; I've tried connecting to the scope through APT then PHD. Which ever I do it it will connect to the first peace of software, then refuses to connect to the secnd. I'm using PHD version v2.30 and PHD version 1.13.0b. Any ideas folks?

Hi Mike

Right click on the app`s icon on the desktop, click `properties` then `advanced` , select run as administrator then apply and save then do same with the other app then both should be able to access Ascom at the same time!

HTH

Steve

Hi Michael,

The Ascom driver will only allow one external software at a time to communicate with the LX200.

If PHD is granted connection rights then APT would be dis-allowed, and vica-versa.

For APT to make the connection, then PHD would first have to relinquish access (disconnect) which would play havoc with your guiding.

I believe the same would apply even when using POTH... only one software can be in control at any given time.

Perhaps Chris Shillito (from the EQASCOM project and a member here) will be able to suggest how to achieve this... if it is indeed possible.

Keep happy.

Best regards.

Sandy.

If your ascom driver doesn't allow multiple clients to connect (some do, some don't) then you need to use a 'hub' such as POTH. First run POTH and have it connect to your acom mount driver. Then run phd and apt and configure them to connect to poth. In this way the mount driver only ever opens a single serial connection to the mount, poth handles the multiple clients and services their requests via that single connection.

Chris.

Hi Mike

Right click on the app`s icon on the desktop, click `properties` then `advanced` , select run as administrator then apply and save then do same with the other app then both should be able to access Ascom at the same time!

HTH

Steve

There isn't this option on my Windows XP machine

If your ascom driver doesn't allow multiple clients to connect (some do, some don't) then you need to use a 'hub' such as POTH. First run POTH and have it connect to your acom mount driver. Then run phd and apt and configure them to connect to poth. In this way the mount driver only ever opens a single serial connection to the mount, poth handles the multiple clients and services their requests via that single connection.

Chris.

I've downloaded updated versions of everything and seem to be having pretty good success. However I still have one rpoblem. The NSEW slew buttons on APT cause an uncontrolled slew when connected to POTH (fine with Meade ASCOM driver on it's own). Is there an alternative ASCOM hub program I can try?

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I'm running APT on a Win 7 machine, but like you I've been having problems running camera, mount and PHD via POTH. I've now selected the ASCOM generic hub from the ASCOM drop-down list and that seems to have solved the instability problems I was having with APT. I'm still testing, but its looking good and although my issues were different it may be worth trying the generic hub. Good luck, Roy

I've never actually connected APT to ASCOM.. I connect PHD, then use the EQMOD scope controls. I connect APT to the PHD server for the dithering though. Would that work for you Michael, or do you need the connection from APT ? If so, could you connect APT to setup etc, then disconnect APT, Connect PHD and use the PHD server to connect APT ?

Archived