Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

RO RO Roof castor details

abberation

Hi

I am planning to build a timber observatory on the side of an existing large timber shed .

The main area where I am struggling is a design for the castor/track configuration. I have considered a timber type of u tube to sit the castors in and contain them on the rails but would have preferred a galvanised type of u section profile. I cannot afford the gate rails. Can anyone suggest a method or point me in the direction of a previous post or supplier of suitable rails.

Rich

My own current observatory (and the new one I'm building) uses these castors http://www.screwfix....pack-of-4/50880 running directly on wooden runners. I have a small (15mm x 15mm) "rail" on the outside of each runner just to keep the roof rolling straight. The system has been in use for over three years and shows no real signs of wear. My 6' x 6' has three wheels on either side, I intend to fit four per side on the new 9 x 7 building.

I have always disliked "U" shaped channels of any construction as I believe they would be likely to hold water and allow water damage to occur - others may have different views on this?

I use the same type of rollers but run them straight on the top beams of the roof and frame, no channels for the same reason, works fine for me. This is the second observatory I have built this way. Even with 4" of snow on the roof and rails all I do is brush off the rails and the roof will roll back, channels can clog with snow and ice.

The problem with U section channel is stuff (leaves, water, snow, ice etc. ) can get trapped in it and impede the rollers. I opted for plain aluminium angle bracket with the open side facing out . Thus any water etc. on the rail runs out and away from the inside of obsy.

You can just about see in this image, where my Dad's hand is, the open angle runner. Another trick we used to keep water out was to stick them down with silicone as well as screw them in place.

Dscf6822_1024_zps8eee8e3c.jpg

Thanks all of you for the information - I didn't realise the potential problems that could be caused by the channels.

I thought it was neccessary to use a channel, glad I asked - thinking ahead to winter I could imagine a good clear

night with the roof frozen in situ!

Hi Abberation, where part of wales do you live?

If your not to far from me your more then welcome to come have a look at mine, might give you a few clues....it worked for me.

I also don't use any form of channel and the few leaves i have had on the runners just gets swept off..so easy.

Mail me if you fancy taking a look

Archived