NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Infinity 76 Quick Question

Hi folks,

I have recently bought my son the Infinity 76 for his birthday. We took it out last night and got a gander at the moon and Jupiter - the latter of which was no more than a fuzzy white dot. To enhance the experience, and fuel my son's now abundant enthusiasm in astronomy is there any kind of lens I can buy to replace or enhance the 30x mag of the one that came with the Infinity 76?

Regards,

Buckles

Hi Buckles

I have the same scope for my children and the supplied eyepieces use a helical focus method. If you carefully remove the two plastic lugs in the focuser (they just slide out) then you can use standard 1.25" eps. I wouldn't attempt to get dramatically higher magnification but probably x50 or x60 would be ok so something like a 7mm or 8mm would be worth a go.

Cheers,

Stu

Just a note - I had one a few years ago and was never able to get a decent view of Saturn's Rings with it. 30x was not enough to resolve them and the 50x erecting eyepiece supplied with the scope was hopeless. :sad:

Dana

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/75517-Skywatcher-Infinity-76-new-info-!/page__view__findpost__p__734571

Maybe I was over optimistic with a 7mm. 10 or 15mm may work. Basic point is that the mirror isn't to bad, but the supplied eyepieces are a bit rubbish, so using better quality ones will. No need for anything too expensive obviously.

Stu

Yes, it will be. The point is that a better quality ep will give better results. I thought the focal length was 380mm, but remembered wrong, it's 300mm isn't it. Maybe try a 7mm giving x42. To focus you will just have to slide the ep in and out, not ideal but it works.

Now I think about it, I tried a 7mm Nagler in mine and the results were quite good. No need for anything like that, a simple but decent quality Plossl is worth a go.

Stu

Archived