SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best Mount for Imaging (£5k-£6k Budget)

ribuck

I think I'm pretty much set on the GM1000HPS at the moment. I'm not moving until June' so have a good while to wait yet, but I don't think there will be any major developments or new released in new mounts between now and then, unless the mythical eq8 turns up then I might take a look at that.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jessun, for me i have to rule out the AP mounts, whilst they are a very fine piece of equipment, i dont think i would buy any new mount system without encoders. I guess i just like the idea that the mount always knows exactly where it is, and that i wont have to create a whole new pointing model if i release the clutches.

ribuck,

I don't think you should sign off the Mesu just yet. I don't own one myself, but I have followed the discussions and experience shared between users during some time, as I seriously consider to get one. Per said that you should take it off the list if you want a remotely controlled mount. This is not quite true anymore, as it is now available with SITECH controller instead of the Argo Navis/StellarCat combo (see http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5908_Mesu200Sitech---komplett-fernsteuerbare-Montierung-mit-hoher-Zuladung.html). With this controller, it is fully ASCOM compatible.

I think Ollie's and Yves' experience with the Mesu show that you can go unguided with half-hour subs and FL of 2.4 metre.

/Thommy

On another note, I find the idea of having a system where you have to get parameters such as gear ratios etc. right in your settings disturbing. That was one of the main reasons for writing off the Gemini G53F from my short-list. Its setup procedure involves entering stepper motor parameters and the like. The SITECH controller is similar as far as I can see. Better with a system that is delivered as ONE instead of one comprised of one mount and a completely generic controller that can be used with most mounts.

/per

I have to agree with per, I'd much rather have a system where everything just works with minimal user input, ans where the controlling electronics have been designed specifically to match the hardware. Whilst i'm sure the mesu mount's are very good, it just feels like the mount has been designed first then the control system was an after thought (Olly please dont shoot me down)

I guess for me it's like a first impression thing, when you see something you either like the look of it or you dont, and the mesu mounts fall into the latter for me.......

The key for me is simplicity, that it just work out of the box and works well.............A bit like apple of the Mount world as it were..........you switch it on, you do the initial polar alignment and you're good to go.

Hi Jessun, for me i have to rule out the AP mounts

OK, it falls outside of the budget specified in the thread but here's why I've been waiting a year for an AP mount:

I like the relative simplicity of them - I really like a the idea of one 12v battery and one handset being the only extras needed.

As long as I stay in Lyon, I can only look west, and I suspect that may hinder me from doing an accurate pointing model anyways. I am limited in sublength due LP and smog, and it's only a bit clear when it's windy so I need someting solid. It also goes in and out every session, so I need a quick basic PA, and then get going. The PE is quoted at +/- 2.5 arc sec over the 6.4 minute worm cycle, before even using the preloaded PEC curve, so it should hopefully guide fine.

So Initially I'll be able to treat it just like a big HEQ5.

For the future, with a permanent setup in mind the encoders can be added by the user at a mere $4000 per axis :embarassed: ... Their latest software also handles pointing models and various tracking rates for RA and Dec, plus the usual ASCOM tricks, so I don't see any immediate problems to image remote and unguided when things are more organized at my end.

The future may well also hold a much beefier telescope - I'm no stranger to the idea of a big RC derivate, and with the AP1600 I know that my only limit is budget - tough limit indeed, but I will not need to replace this mount over my lifetime. Parts perhaps, but not the whole thing.

I predict an AP1000 coming up to replace the 900, which would also be ideal for excursions - and then I'd only need to know one system as they're pretty identical in operation.

For me there was really only one mount that could encompass all of the above, and despite AP are looking 'dated' at first glance I think it will suit me personally just fine :smiley: . I trust Baader/TS with support too, so I don't foresee sending stuff over the Atlantic back and forth...

The mounts mentioned in this thread are all pretty formidable, so it's soon down to what colour they have as the final deciding factor :grin: .

Good luck with you choice ribuck! Make sure to write a review!

/Jesper

Also forgot to mention that i really dont like the idea of 2 separate controllers on the Mesu. I read review than ncjunk did on his mesu, and whilst he got it working in the end, he seemed to go through a lot of frustration at times, sometimes spending 4 hours or more just getting a single function to work........... Whilst that might have just been ncjunk lack of knowledge when he first got the mount...........I dont want to go through similar frustration..........

Also i really dont like the way the motor and some of the electronics are exposed to the elements.

Sorry Mesu, you aint for me.....

I have a GM1000.

My polar alignment isn't perfect with it, apparently I have to turn the altitude adjustment knob by 1/100th of a turn down, and the azimuth bu 1/100th of a turn left. :D

Ian King is taking one to Astrofest he told me, so you might want to check it out.

When you see it, you WILL want it.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Jjongmans, so why did you buy a ddm60 if the mesu is so good :grin:

Joking aside, i just don't like the whole......."well you can add this controller or add these encoders" to make it better. I don't want to have to modify a mount or alter it in any way, i just want it to take it out of the box, and it's just works without any need to alter it, and for that i'm willing to pay an extra £1000 over the cost of the mesu.

I'm hoping Tim will take the hint and do a full review of his GM1000HPS, and just in case you missed it Tim.........(HINT GM1000HPS REVIEW HINT) :grin:

I will do a proper review, but I am not going to do it without using the mount properly over a period of time. These days reviews are often quoted on sites all over the place and are taken as a basis for ordering equipment, so I am keen to have proper experience to talk about.

For now let's just say, am I pleased with the mount which cost twice as much as the car I currently drive? And the answer is yes.

For me the biggest change was going from the awesome simplicity and ease of use of EQmod, to a more powerful system with a less user friendly GUI. Per is planning his own driver and system in time and hopefully that will be more click and pointy.

That said, after one night using the new interface through the virtual handset software it all made a lot more sense and is now almost second nature.

The biggest test will come with my long exposures on my long focal length setup.

Cheers

Tim

When I set my mount up, I took a few pics, although I haven't got enough counterweights yet to do it properly, so I improvised.

The first 10 minute sub (1960mm fl) show some trailing, the second sub after a bit of refinement showed less, this picture was about an hour after I started and was 30 minutes. It is far from perfect, but this is less than two hours after taking the mount on for the first time in effect. Thought you might be interested.

There is no way I'd have considered dismantling my obsy to take a mount to a star party etc, but this one is designed to be portable (it is heavy) and comes with little bags for everything, even the mount head.

Single sub 1800 secs 460ex binned 2x2 C11 EdgeHD +0.7 reducer (1957mm). Unguided.

Archived