Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen Polarie versus Ioptron Sky Tracker

Ags

Ioptron have brought out the Sky Tracker, which is like the Polarie but it has slightly greater load capacity and includes a polar scope as standard. It oooks very interesting, especialy as it looks like it is slightly cheaper than the Polarie.

Since you are interested in low cost light weight star tracker, this Sightron Nano Tracker (Borg 9786) may interest you. It has smaller capacity than Vixen Polarie, but also a lot cheaper. It costed about £200 in Japan, so I guess it will be around £250 if it lands in UK.

FLO just became a Borg dealer, so it may worth sending them an e-mail to see if they have any plan to stock these.

http://www.tomytec.c...ail/summary/487

Hi , I have just checked the specs for the sightron nano and it has the same weight load carrying as the polarie 2kgs . It also has the same type of hole for polar sighting but no optional scope.

hmmm... can't find the edit button, so I'll do another posts... the manual (also on their website) does specify 2kg http://www.vixenopti...ARIE Manual.pdf

With these new trackers available now, surely Astrotrac have to reduce their prices slightly or make an alternative cheaper version that doesn't take 15KG loads?

I don't think Astrotrac will reduce their price. Afterall, Astrotrac is a much more accurate unit with greater load capacity. The advantage of Astrotrac is its very accurate screw drive, all the other trackers on the market (except the Fornax) use traditional worm drive which suffers from PEC and has a relatively small capacity. Vixen's 2.2kg load will barely able to handle a DSLR with a 70-200 zoom or a 300 f4 lens.

Astrotrac's real competitors are mounts like Fornax 10, Losmandy Starlapse, Vixen GP2 photoguider and Kenko Sky Memo.

I have the polar scope and I'd say it does it's job well enough, when I was using the sight hole I really couldn't get much more than a few seconds exposure with a 300mm lens but when using it I can easy get 30secs at 300mm and it'd probably push a bit more from it too.

It is a bit pricey though so I can understand why people would hold off on it luckily I got given the polar scope as a gift which helps a bit.

The load capacity on the Polarie is specified at 2kg as per the manual but the guys in the US claim to have "re-tested" the mount and now state the equivalent of 3kg.

I have asked Vixen in Japan for their input on this. I suspect that Vixen in the US has unilaterally responded to the announcement of the iOptron but having said that, they have traditionally used testing-based load capacities in their literature which are always higher than Vixen's own conservative numbers.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Archived