Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hypertuning the HEQ5 Pro

StarMich

Hi I'm Michaël and I'm new here on this forum. A few weeks ago I started to hypertune my HEQ5 Pro mount, which isn't an easy job for someone who doesn't know anything about mechanics :eek:

Currently I'm busy replacing the bearings of the RA axis, I bought these on Monday:

3 x SKF 6006-2Z

1 x SKF 30205

The shop doesn't have the worm bearings (689Z?), does someone know were I can find these? (for a reasonable price)

Kind regards,

Michaël

Interesting idea. As an Ioptron, Alt-Az owner (mine's fairly OK in it's original state!) one notes a whole (lucrative?) "cottage industry", replacing bearings etc. The Ioptron mods use "Timken" bearings? But I'm not sure I have the nechanical resources - skills, though! But I now have an HEQ5... :eek:

I would think everything would have to have a little play in it. Regarding the bearings, just make sure you get low tolerance bearings, not the C3 spec that some bearing companies supply by default.

Also, I've heard of people getting their worm and wheels too close and the gears have been binding when the mount cools. Might be an idea to put it in the fridge for a while before doing the final adjustment :eek:

Another thing I was thinking about checking for is end-float in the worm.

At the end of the day, you can't get rid of all the play. Or should I say; you can, but that would cause other, more serious problems.

EDIT: Welcome to SGL, Michaël ;)

I found that, even the humble EQ3-2 was capable of returning to the "same place" in the sky. RANDOM errors of friction, rumble, lubrication might be a problem, for imagers? Still mostly battling greater SYSTEMATIC errors of HEQ5 setup? :eek:

The link above will take you to bearings that as they state - "They are ideally suited to high-load, low rotation applications" reason being they have no retainer just extra bearings that have been precision made.

If anyone comes across better, will you please let me know. This country eats my bearings, and to anyone stuck not knowing how to change them, call your local bearing supplier they normally have a local garage that they will send you too for a simple change.

David

Archived