Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Alt Az/ EQ and what about the 'scope??

Hi All,

I'm so enjoying reading up about the right scope and mount, the debates, advice etc etc that I don't think I have the time to buy the right 'scope and actually use it!

I think that visual astronomy is for me and have been using a travel scope 70mm on a wobbly tripod. Apart from the frustrating wobbles and the jerky moving around of my set up I'm still happy to get out and have a look at the skies.

Anyway, I'm very serious about buying the AZ4 mount on account of it's apparent sturdiness and 'buttery smooth' movement. It will certainly support my 70mm refractor but does anyone with experience of tripods and mount know if this thing would support the Evostar 120mm?

I have a hunch that it will from what I've read, but most people have mounted 100/102mm apo/non apo refractors on the AZ4.

I'd love a more compact Startravel 120 that would go well on this mount but am aware of its limitations at high mags (x100+) and the CA.

Please help.

I'll get there eventually and make a better purchase :)

Decisions decisions

Tim

Hi,

I have an AZ-4 and I use it to mount my Vixen ED102 which has a focal ratio of F/6.5 so is a reasonably short, light (4kg approx) tube. The mount carries it with ease.

I have had longer / heavier scopes on the AZ-4 including my 10kg Intes maksutov-newtonian for a quick "look see". I know that another SGL member uses the AZ-4 to carry a Skywatcher ED120 which is an F/7.5 scope but he acknowleges that it's not 100% stable as the magnification gets over 120x or so.

I reckon the AZ-4 would be excellent with the F/5 version of the Skywatcher 120mm but the F/8.3 version (the Evostar) would be too much for it. A 4.7" F/8.3 refractor is a pretty large OTA.

Have you considered a Dob? I dont have one myself but have heard a lot of people say that you can get some serious 'bang for your buck' with a Dob.

What is your budget? Do want a motorised mount or GoTo or are you happy to star hop?

Hi,

I have an AZ-4 and I use it to mount my Vixen ED102 which has a focal ratio of F/6.5 so is a reasonably short, light (4kg approx) tube. The mount carries it with ease.

I have had longer / heavier scopes on the AZ-4 including my 10kg Intes maksutov-newtonian for a quick "look see". I know that another SGL member uses the AZ-4 to carry a Skywatcher ED120 which is an F/7.5 scope but he acknowleges that it's not 100% stable as the magnification gets over 120x or so.

I reckon the AZ-4 would be excellent with the F/5 version of the Skywatcher 120mm but the F/8.3 version (the Evostar) would be too much for it. A 4.7" F/8.3 refractor is a pretty large OTA.

Thanks John,

I've been too busy to reply earlier.

I have been looking around this brilliant site for info and think that I will be sticking to a Startravel which will then work with the AZ4.

I shall have to live with the CA and lower power magnification of planets. If I want to improve on this I can go down the Newt orDob route later. What I rteally need to do is have a gander at 'sopes in a shop.

Tim

Thanks John,

I've been too busy to reply earlier.

I have been looking around this brilliant site for info and think that I will be sticking to a Startravel which will then work with the AZ4.

I shall have to live with the CA and lower power magnification of planets. If I want to improve on this I can go down the Newt orDob route later. What I rteally need to do is have a gander at 'sopes in a shop.

Tim

Do get the steel tubed tripod version of the AZ-4 - it's a much more stable setup IMHO.

An AZ-4 will also easily carry a 5" mak-cassegrain if you want to see the back of CA and get great planetary and lunar views.

Thanks again John and all,

I have read that the AZ4 will carry a 150mm Explorer ( PL I think) which suggests it may support well the faster 150P.

So perhaps I can move up to the 5" SCT or Newt with this mount.

Busy on holiday so will be checking out this set up asap after hol.

Tim

I have read that the AZ4 will carry a 150mm Explorer ( PL I think) which suggests it may support well the faster 150P.

It will certainly cope with the 150P but I feel that the PL would be pushing things to far - that's a long, heavy tube.

John,

Once again you have responded to my lastest post, for which I am grateful.

What a service and so prompt too!

I'm getting to know this site now and am feeling more confident asking questions.

I will order in near future and I am now looking for the right EP to replace the rubbish 10mm that came with my Travel Scope. An EP to make better use of this 'scope and one that I can also use with my future larger 'scope.

Thanks,

Tim

BTW - no need to respond to this post though! :) Oh, go on then!

Well I'm very close to buying the ST120. But my problem is that the ST120 does not sell as an OTA alone. From peoples' experiences with FLO or perhaps other retailers would it be a possibility purchasing the ST120 and the retailer swapping the AZ3 for the AZ 4 at point of purchase?

I guess that I could at a push buy the AZ3/ST120 set up and then sell the AZ3. Would this be a desirable mount that would sell easily? And then buy the AZ4.

Perhaps tha AZ3 is sufficient for my needs as a visual observer yet I have read of some mods this mount would benefit from.

I don't have enough posts to access the buy & sell yet, which is not a worry as I'm enjoying this forum very much.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead!

The Startravel 120 does work on the AZ3, but not very well. If you point the telescope above an angle of about 50 degrees, it tips and ends up pointing at the zenith. Not reccommended

Buy the ST120 and AZ3, then sell/trade in the AZ3, and get a AZ4. The aluminium legged AZ4 is fine with the ST120.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for brining this thread up again.

I've been distracted, just a little, with an extesion to back of the house. So much so, that I've put all thoughts of a new scope on the back burner.

Now that the work is nearly finished, I'm looking again.

I like the AZ4 but can't decide on the ST120 or evostar 120. It seems that the AZ4 would not handle the AZ4 anyway. With this in mind I'd have to go with your suggestion and put up with CA on planets etc. I like the sound of the simplicity of this mount and just a little scared of an EQ mount in terms of weight and complexity to accomodate the evostar.

Decisions decisions! I still maintain that I need to see these things in the flesh!

Thanks Gaz, Iw24,

I've been looking at the 'Look at the size of that thing' thread. In particular AB's 100 frac. That thing is big enough for me let alone any tripod I will need :). Your ED120 and the evostar surely would be larger! Mind you I'd love to go down the ED route but cost then comes in as well as size :hello2:

Ok, a few more months looking then?! After then I may well have saved up for a SW ED100 and could surely mount it on the AZ4.

Still haven't ruled out the ST120 for it's qualities and compact(ish)ness though Iw24.

:)

Long focal length refractors often need stronger mounts to mount them upon (Evostar, Tal), but short tube achromats (Startravel) can be mounted on less strong mounts.

As a starting scope I'd definately go for a lighter, easier to handle scope, however if your extremely interested in planetary viewing, you could get a Maksutov Cassegrain, like this.

Clear Skies

Iw24,

well, i can see that a skymax 127 would be a geat stable mate for the ST120 both sharing the Az4.

thanks for that little nugget

how are you getting on with your st120 + AZ4?

tim

Archived