SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 130M

I think that the scope has a spherical mirror and at f/6.9 my opinion is that it is too short and that you will get various aberations.

Had it been up at f/9 or f/10 then the spherical mirror would probably have been adaquate

Being realistic you will want a bigger one within a short period so you will very likely want to upgrade.

The SW 130P is a better bet - I started with the 150P on EQ3-2 (which is a better mount than the 130P). That said - both are great starter scopes that won't blow the budget if you change your mind or decide to upgrade. Plus they sell on easilly around 60%-70% of retail if kept in good nick.

But deffo go for parabolic mirror - you'll get better focus and can fit a motor :)

just looked on first light optics and probably go for the Skywatcher Explorer 130P as its seems to be the best to go for and found out that quite a few people do have and use that one and aint disapionted in it eather!

Hi mate.

I have the SW 130 pm.

Great scope for the money. No complaints so far. Like brantuk said though go for the P. The parabolic mirror is supposed to be better for the money.

May be worth upgrading the eye pieces. The supplied ones are ok to get you going but upgrading will show a big improvement.

There are better scopes about without doubt but for the money the 130pm is a great value starter scope.

Hope this helps.

Stick.

ive had my 130M for just over a week and its a good scope for the money, i will be upgrading soonish though. im yet to use the motor but ive had great views of the moon, saturn and M57. the focuser isnt great, its jst not fine enough, you need a very light hand to focus properly without disrupting the image too much.

as a starter scope its great, but for the same money maybe the 130p is a better bet.

however if i could go back to last week when i bought it, i wouldnt, id have waited till payday and got the 150p instead, its a bigger step up than the cost difference suggests.

Archived