Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Soligor 200mm - Any Good?

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie, so I am looking for advice on a telescope. I have spotted a Soligor MT800, 200mm dia scope F4. Does anyone know about these? Are they any good? I have seen reviews that say they loose detail at higher magnifications.

Many thanks,

I had a 6 inch Soligor and I believe Hugh (The Thing) has one too. It was nicely made if i recall correctly, though i'm not sure how it was optically- i cant remember. I think they are a German based supplier and not widely available in the UK

Stephen

I do indeed have a Soligor - the 150 version. Great scope. Very good optically. I found the focuser a little sloppy, but that was cured with a little PTFE tape. It suffers a little on back focus as well, but an exterior tube cures that.

The mount is very good as well. Replace the standard EPs except the 25mm they are pretty poor.

HTH?

F4 means that the scope has a relatively short focal length. It is designed to have a bias for wider fields rather than high magnifications but thats not a major issue unless your main passion is detail on planets and splitting close doubles! Its a bonus if you like looking at star clusters and for fast photography..

Mark

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I might take a look at it. They have a special offer of €400 for the scope on EQ3. They are also supposed to have a Demo model so I might give an offer and see how i get on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived