NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Slowly Modifying a scope

Is there any real advantage to paying thousands for an astrograph? If I was to steadily upgrade my 6" newt would I not end up in the same place?

Upgrade the focuser, fit a 1/12 mirror set, use a decent coma corrector etc. What will be the difference? Even the OO CT series don't come with a coma corrector and recommend you use the Baader one. You can even buy carbon fibre tubes now.

If I slowly rebuild the scope this way, will I end up with something as good for considerably less outlay?

EDIT

I could even build a scope from component parts rather than upgrade this one. 8" carbon tube, 9 point cell, 1/12 wave mirrors, decent focuser etc.. Seems to come out a LOT cheaper than buying one ready made. I started thinking about this after reading about teh SGL member who made a planetary newt from a 150PL and a OO mirror set.

Yes you could, the only difference would be the focal ratio and possibly the field of view. Your Newt would be slightly slower and with a smaller field of view than the best astrographs but potentially very good. Andrew

Hi Pook!

Astrographs are designed to provide a very wide and flat field specially designed for cameras with large CCD sensors - typically much larger than run-of-the-mill digicams or even most common DSLR's. Your modification plans seem very sound, and you will significantly improve photographic performance at each step.

I don't think an astrograph would be for you unless you had a really great camera to attach to it. Your scope should do fine!

Dan

personally, I think that any scope (almost) is a work in progress and needs either an improvement or a little tweak here and there. Go for it. Even if it's not as good as an astrograph would be, you'll be very close and the spec you mention would be great for visual too.

I was going to buy a 6 inch mirror set when I managed to get a great deal on a 10 inch dob for about the same money. I will modify the dob so that I can mount it on my Celestron goto mount in due course, so altogether another work in progress....

Archived