Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

April 11, 2011: short lunar session

Last Monday the sky was reasonable clear with some thin cloud blowing over from time to time, so I put the scope out to cool down a while. The wind was quite strong, so I set up the scope in a sheltered corner near the house.

My first look at the moon was at 92x with the Nagler 22, which gives a beautiful overview of the moon. I did notice the image ripple a bit (common in high winds), but the view was very nice. The Straight Wall stood out nicely, as did many other familiar features along the terminator. In Mare Serenitatis, the Serpentine Ridge was just about visible as a discoloration rather than as a relief, but it was definitely visible.

I switched to 203x with the Radian 10mm, which gave nice views, though the rippling effect was stronger. There were moments of near perfect views, but I decide not to go for the 254x offered by the 8mm. I checked out Plato to try and spot the craterlets, but the floor was not fully illuminated, and seeing not good enough to spot them. I am not sure I could see them with a C8, but a first photograph I took of Plato some years back hints at them, so I will try again.

Moving north I spotted crater W. Bond, which is indeed almost filled to the brim. Though it has quite a high number on the Lunar 100 list (76) it is quite easy to spot, when the light is right. I then moved south, and spotted Mons Pico, which was beautiful in the oblique lighting.

Moving further south still, the Hyginus Rille stood out, and the collapse pits were evident. Nearby, I spotted at least three of the Triesnecker Rilles, crisscrossing the area around the crater of the same name. I will have to have a closer look later.

I tried getting the Davy Crater Chain, but clouds rolled in. I will have to have a go later. Still I bagged 5 new members of the Lunar 100, and visited a few old ones.

I must say using the Lunar 100 has transformed my way of lunar observation. I used to view Luna mainly as a pain in the backside, ruining my chance of spotting deep-sky stuff (mainly galaxies). I forgave it a lot during the 1999 solar eclipse :). I also tended to aim the scope at it because people wanted to see it, but my feeling about seeing craters was a bit "bin there, done that". I am now getting to know the surface in much more detail, and thoroughly enjoying it. Mares which first seemed featureless plains contain many details once you start paying attention. If it is clear again tonight, I will certainly have a go at the moon again.

I have also been taking the time this past few nights to observe the Moon in more detail, inspired by reading posts on the Lunar 100, have used the 13mmm Nagler most of the time and just wanted to say it has been very rewarding :)

thankyou for another excellent report Micheal :p

Archived