More newbie questions:)

Hi everyone, i have a few questions, but rather than making 2 topics im going too just do one and hope it gets viewed ok.

Im very new too astronomy, and currently just have a cheap jessops 800-80 telescope. last night i found my first DSO i think:), the double cluster NGC 869. I live in a light poluted area so was happy too find this, i am wondering if this is an easily visable DSO, and if i can see this one what others i may be able too see?.

Second question was related too buying a new telescope, i only bought the jessops too get an idea if its worth spending more money, i really am enjoying this so far an iv already decided i deffinatly want too save up for a better scope. Initialy i was set on a skywatcher 250PX , but im realizing that in my light poluted area i may not be able too make the most of it. Id like t get a dob because id like the best perfomance per £ , but i am wondering what dob offers the best price/performance ratio, and what appeture offeres the best performance/ease of transporting ratio. at first i thought just get the biggest dob i can because i wouldent need too move it, but im now starting too think i will need too transport it too better locations.

Any advice would be great:)

Hi

Which Dob is for you really depends on what you can afford/cope with.

Most commercially built medium sized Dobs have focal ratios that keep the tube lengths around 4' to 4'6" so they'll fit across the back seat of most cars.

How heavy a Dob you can manage will set the size.

Best to see them in the flesh. Get in touch with your local society and go along to one of their viewing nights, or visit an astronomy shop.

Remember though you'll be lifting and transporting it every time you wanna use it so pick one with this in mind. An old cliche is: "The best scope is one that gets used"

Good luck with your scope hunt let us know what you decide on.

Regards Steve

Post #2 is great advice ! worth reading and digesting.

The double cluster is an easily visible DSO, but don't worry,

there's loads of others like that. While you are in the same

area of sky, try the 'ET' cluster (NGC 457) in Cassiopea.

Regards, Ed.

Hi guys, thank you for the advice:) im not sure we have any atronomy shops locle, iv never seen one, but will have a look on google and see what comes up. i do think seeing one in person would be very helpfull.

Im a healthy guy of 27 and reasonably strong, my friend whom i would be transporting the telescope with is also physicly fit-so im acctualy thinking a 10" dob shouldent be a problem?. the main question is will it fit in a nissan primara with the back seats folded down..time too get the tape measure out i think!.

Thanks for the recomendation of the ET cluster, i will look for that tonight if the skys are clear:)

A 10" dob is a great choice as long as these things apply:

1. You can handle the mass and bulk (I think at your age, we can check this one off.)

2. You can get into a darker sky from time to time. In the city, a 6" dob will show almost as much as a 10". (The larger aperture picks up more light pollution along with more DSO's)

3. Don't forget to budget for a couple of eyepieces: You'll want to get a wide-angle, low-power eyepiece [32-40mm] for DSO's, and maybe a higher power eyepiece (or two!) for planetary work, and at least a moon filter. An eyepiece case and a "red-dot" or Telrad style finder is also a must.

Have fun, and post a pic when you get your new scope!

Dan

We can get too darker skys on a sunday evening, i live about 15 miles away from the new forest and im hoping that will give some really nice dark skys there, im trying too think of places there as we speak.

Iv debated taking the jessops down there, but it would cost 40% of the cost of the scope in fuel and that just seems crazy lol! so im thinking mabey save that too test the new scope in a couple of months, moving from a jessops scope in a light poluted area with only views east and west, to a 10 inch dob in totaly open dark skys should be a night and day differance? im really enjoying my jessops but i want a scope that will blow my mind, id deffinatly be susceptible to aperture feaver so im really trying too think this one through:) i think il find a tape measure and try and mark out the size of the telescope on the floor too get an idea.

Thats a very good point about the EPs and extras, i hadent really considered that, would £200 cover those do you think?.

You won't go wrong with the suggestions so far but I do think its worth going along to an observation evening at least once before you buy just to get your eye in to be sure that a scope such as the one you are after meets (...hopefully exceeds!) your expectations. Light pollution won't affect planets, moon, clusters, and double stars which will provide you with plenty of targets to keep you going, its only deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebulosity that 'LP' comes into play.

At the end of the day, take your time selecting your kit as the stars aren't going anywhere and don't forget to factor in the cost of a good star map!

Clear skies

James

Thats a very good point about the EPs and extras, i hadent really considered that, would £200 cover those do you think?.

I'm in the USA, so I don't know about local prices. Plossl eyepieces of reasonable quality start at about $50 here - of course you can go wild on eyepieces, but the basic ones in this price range are really very good - especially for a beginner. You can always upgrade later if you want to. The equipment section here should be helpful to you, there are a lot more folks from you area there.

Also will strongly recommend a visit to an astronomy club before you buy. Chances are you can see many of models you are considering, try them out, ask the fellow who owns one and all that. This is FREE, and can save you from potentially expensive mistakes. Plus there are lots of mates there you just haven't met yet, and no one will roll their eyes and sigh when you bring up telescopes and eyepieces. (More than a few where I work do that to me!)

I hope that helps, mate!

Dan

Thank you for all of your advice Dan and for making me feel welcome here!:)

I have quite bad social anxiety so popping along too a local astronomy meeting is really hard for me, but it would probably be good for me, im ok once i am talking too people:) i will deffinatly look into this.

I'm currently selling off some of my other hobby (Hi-Fi gear) too fund the new telescope, question is how much too sell!! there's only so many sets of speakers i really need lol.

Thanks for your advice and help, its really appreciated. i know hearing the same questions over and over must get a little tiresome so i appreciate your patience with us newbies!:p.

Hi MadHatter,

Don't worry about noob questions - we all asked them just like you did. The payback is expensive though, you are expected to be patient with other newcomers as long as you stay in the hobby! :p

As to your local club - please do go! New social situations are a bit awkward for everyone at first, but I guarantee they will make you feel very welcome! You will probably find other SGL people there too, I shouldn't be surprised.

Let us know how you get on.

Dan

Thank you for all of your advice Dan and for making me feel welcome here!:)

I have quite bad social anxiety so popping along too a local astronomy meeting is really hard for me, but it would probably be good for me, im ok once i am talking too people:) i will deffinatly look into this.

I'm currently selling off some of my other hobby (Hi-Fi gear) too fund the new telescope, question is how much too sell!! there's only so many sets of speakers i really need lol.

Thanks for your advice and help, its really appreciated. i know hearing the same questions over and over must get a little tiresome so i appreciate your patience with us newbies!:p.

Archived