SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy Binoculars?

I'm a beginner in astronomy so i've bought a set of 20x60 binoculars..but apparently i'm having a 'shaking problem' when viewing the night sky..the store has agreed to exchange it for a pair of 10x50 (which, according to a lot of reviews i've been reading, is quite good for beginners)..but i'm a bit confused..since i'm getting double the power shouldn't i just get a tripod ? or should i exchange ??

Hi Jason. Sir Patrick has allways recommended 10x50's for starters new in the hobby. I still use mine to this day and they're more than enough. However I also have a pair of 15x70's. There's a major difference in the weight and indeed the larger binocs tend to get heavy on the arms after a while (where 10x50 can be comfy all night).

So for your 20x60's I'd say a tripod would be very useful - for 10x50's not so essential :)

Although not essential, I would recommend that you also get a tripod for the 10x50. While you can do a quick observing session or scan the milky way without a tripod, star hopping and taking the time to make a sketch/notes of what you see is infinitely easier when they are firmly mounted.

It's also soooo much easier on the arms after an hour or so!

Mark

Definitely buy a tripod, even if you are purchasing 10x50s.

This is just a personal feeling, but I find that x20 is too much for 60mm lenses, if it's 10x50 and 15x70, why is it 20x60? I believe that the field of view is too narrow, 10x50s give 5.0 degrees, 15x70s give 4.0 degrees and 20x60s 2.2 degrees, approximately. Binoculars are designed for the wide views and that's where they work best.

Archived