Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M44, The Beehive in Cancer

skywatcher1701

Hi Neil, nice capture - you've got great star shapes but seem to have lost star colour somewhere along the process. Sorry I can't offer many helpful suggestions, but I do know that clipping the white point can have that effect...

Hi Neil,

I've reprocessed your image for you according to the best of my abilities using DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop CS5 (inc. Noels Actions) and PixInsight LE.

Reprocessed

post-18683-133877562839_thumb.jpg

Cropped centre

post-18683-133877562846_thumb.jpg

Stacking:

1. Average stack of 10 x 30 second lights @ ISO 1600. Single master dark (temperature matched?)

2. Checked levels - the histograms are flat up against the left so signal will be lost within the noise. Longer exposures should resolve this.

3. Adjusted levels

4. Adjusted curves

5. Used Dynamic Background Extraction in leiu of flats

6. Used Noels Actions: Light Pollution Removal to assist in noise reduction

7. Increased star colour manually (via Noels actions 'select brighter stars', copied to a new layer above background layer, increased saturation and merged down).

8. Used Noels Actions: Increase star colour (takes the newly hue'd edges and applies the colour across the entire star.

9. Reduced star size using Noel's actions.

10. Final adjustment to levels (as RGB got misaligned along the way somehow)

11. Used NeatImage to reduce noise in the jpeg output.

I hope that this helps.

Mike

I've been struggling to capture this one myself, couldn't polar align properly on my EQ1 and my wide field images lost colour in addition to just plain not having much impact!! Ho-hum.

Thanks mike, looks good, i think if i can get more data, it may impove, what do you think?

Make sure that you take flats.

This particular image should be put to bed as there are no flats or bias compensation frames. The dark didn't appear to do much with the noise - how many dark images did you use and do you happen to know if they were taken at the same temperature as the lights?

What I would do is start over - use ISO 800 as it's getting warmer in the evenings and go for 60 second (at a minimum really) subs.

Once you've gotten at least ten lights, ten darks and ten flats (aim for twenty) with an integration time of at least thirty minutes (this stack is currently five minutes), you'll have a good stack for processing.

Did I mention that you need flats? :)

All the best,

Mike

Archived