NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun in Ha overview - rough sketch, 10th April

Andrew*

Wasn't going to post this it's so rough, but here's the sun in Ha at noon today. Usually I would shade in the entire disc in order to rub out the plages, but instead I shaded just the areas containing plages. Looks terrible, but there you go... Conditions were awful, I was distractted and under time pressure, hence the roughness.

So, as you've probably gathered, not too pleased with this, but just look at the enormous spiral prominence on the southern limb! It was pretty faint, and very fine, and changed over very short time periods. What a beauty! Also, a plage area looked uncannily like a B!

Sketched with graphite on white paper at 45x. Coloured and sky inverted in Photoshop.

Anyone else see the spiral?

Andrew

post-13113-13387756112_thumb.jpg

Obviously you're not too keen on it either! :D

At least it should encourage shy people to post their efforts! I've found there's something a bit more intimidating about posting a sketch than a photo... It's a bit more raw and personal somehow.

Andrew

I think this is a fine sketch. I would be happy to post something like this.

I have done a few sun-spot ones but haven't posted them on here yet, but I will next time. I think you are right in that a sketch is so much more personal than a photo. With a photo you can say 'well the object looked like that', but with a sketch it is your own representation, so if it doesn't look right 'you did it', it's not the object's fault.

I still think it is a fantastic medium for recording our observations and we shouldn't shy away from sharing the experience.

Well done.

Thanks a lot, Rik,

I think that's spot on. A sketch is a personal representation. This sketch is probably an excellent case in point. The photos I've seen of the spiral prom didn't look nearly so "clean". I've kind of idealised the spiral shape to make it look more like it "should" look!

Andrew

Andrew

Excellent observation. You have picked out loads of the suns dynamic detail and in my view this is exactly the way to record the suns activity.

More please!

Adrian

Andrew

Sorry mate, this passed me by - a victim of the number of posts there are each day on the forum, these days. I was observing the sun with my PST at the weekend and saw this large prom. It detached itself during the hour of so that I observed, so thanks for sharing the link, it wasn't just me that saw it.

Love the 'rough' sketch. My wife liked it also, particularly as she saw this prom too.

Cheers, Martin

Archived