the skywatcher dob just gets better

took the plunge and got the AZ goto mount and synscan handset. Put the handset on the 300p flextube goto that I already had.

I had already done some research into the pitfalls others had encountered. Wrong lon/lat numbers, US style dates etc, so I was hoping I would have success. I did! Put the scope on a roughly level base ( not perfect due to my garden situation at the moment ) Pointed it north. Powered on the scope and punched in all the details into the new handset. Did a 2 star alignment. Betelguese and Mizar. The scope actually pointed pretty well to my surprise. All the clusters were within a nudge of the eyepiece. I think it would have been even better if I had a better level surface and maybe used more than a 26mm EP for centering. All in all very pleased and would recommend the GOTO mod to any skywatcher dob owner. Only drawback was that I tripped over my homemade PSU leads and now need a bit of a resoldering job done.

Tonight the sky was great, certainly compared with the last few weeks. I managed to finally get to see most of the clusters. Hercules and M3 etc. Stunning through my old meade 26mm and the new televu 8mm. A little bit dull but loads of detail. I think it just took my eyes a while to adjust. Beehive cluster was also nice. This is the first time I have every seen anything but m42 through my ETX90.

The cats eye nebula was great although small. Just nice to see something different through the scope

I couldn't find a few things like M92 and M101. A few other fuzzies escaped me as the house was in the way BAH!

Hi mindburner, glad you had a first sight of one or two decent objects with the new kit :rolleyes:

I always start with the lowest power to set up the alignement, its also nice to watch the selected target drift into the fov when your good to go :D

Hi Mindburner,

Sounds like a cracking night!!!

You should take that beast and join the guys from NIAAS for observing one day. I joined them a couple of times and it was really good - they have a few really good spots for observing, sure you'll like it!

regards.

Glad it worked for you, i set up my goto to Stellarium last weekend and that worked very well, all objects were spot on in the EP which shocked me a bit, i seen alot more that night because of it, and those clusters are really nice.

Don't it feel great when something works

I couldn't find a few things like M92 and M101.

M92 is pretty bright and looks like a mini M13; basically, if the conditions are such that you can see M13, then M92 is certainly findable and not too far away from M13 in the sky.

As for M101, it's pretty dim. What I do is get the last two pan-handle stars of Great Bear into the view - M101 forms an equilateral triangle with them. Even if it's not clear (it usually isn't :) ) with averted vision you can normally sense a bit of a "glow" coming from the region if the light pollution isn't too bad.

Glad it worked for you, i set up my goto to Stellarium last weekend and that worked very well, all objects were spot on in the EP which shocked me a bit, i seen alot more that night because of it, and those clusters are really nice.

Don't it feel great when something works

That 's something I would like to try. I have a desktop computer in my cabin which I could use or an older laptop. DO you need a special lead? or just the serial lead. cheers

Hi Mindburner,

Sounds like a cracking night!!!

You should take that beast and join the guys from NIAAS for observing one day. I joined them a couple of times and it was really good - they have a few really good spots for observing, sure you'll like it!

regards.

It was great. I have the goto now so its better, just a pity my garden is not as level as I would like

I'm glad the handset swop worked to. I did exactly the same to my dob last year and recommend it all the time to others. It's nice to see another sucess story :)

Its a super mod. I must say a big thank you to you guys as the posts on this were very informative and helped a lot to avoid the pitfalls and with the setup. I havn't tried the tracking with the new handset but it should be ok I hope

M92 is pretty bright and looks like a mini M13; basically, if the conditions are such that you can see M13, then M92 is certainly findable and not too far away from M13 in the sky.

As for M101, it's pretty dim. What I do is get the last two pan-handle stars of Great Bear into the view - M101 forms an equilateral triangle with them. Even if it's not clear (it usually isn't :) ) with averted vision you can normally sense a bit of a "glow" coming from the region if the light pollution isn't too bad.

Ahh I think I may have seen m101. I think I was maybe expecting too much even with a dob. I had just been 'hubbleised' as I have some spectacular desktop wallpaper on my computer:)

That 's something I would like to try. I have a desktop computer in my cabin which I could use or an older laptop. DO you need a special lead? or just the serial lead. cheers

As long as your "older laptop" can run Stellarium you should have no problems, if your laptop has a serial port you should be ok (older ones do) if not you will need to get a serial to usb lead (which i use), can't think where i got it from:icon_scratch: Brantuk put me on to the web site, sure he will tell you.

Archived