Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

oIII filters vs any other!

Hi all, my first post on here for info, still a beginer to all this so bear with me!

I've got a 12" Dob and wanna see more nebulars and the like. Getting great views of m81-82 m31 orion neb and saturn but have heard lots of stuff about oxygen III filters h-beta filters and uhc filters.

Just bought 30% and 15% ND filter so wondered as i'm feeling a bit flush and it's pay day week weither any of the other filters will benifit me?

Seriously looking at OIII but are there different types i should look at and others that i should avoid?

Been told OIII would be great on nebulars, as i'm lucky not to have that much LP round where i live, small glow but thats about it, being able to just see milkyway on drive last year and easily out in the fields gives you an idea of my seeing.

Thanks for any help and advice

Paul

Hi Paul - welcome to SGL !.

I have used a UHC filter successfully to help spot faint nebulae, mine is a Baader UHC-S. Baader also make an OIII filter which is supposed to be even more effective, provided you have a reasonable aperture scope (which I see you do have) - the OIII filter does dim the stars quite a lot but that is what makes the nebulae stand out !. Lumicon is another good brand I believe who make both UHC and OIII filters. I chose Baader because they got good reports from others who used them and seemed good value.

As for ones to avoid, I did try an Orion Skyglow filter (a type of broadband filter) once and that did not seem to make any significant difference to me.

These filters don't make the nebulae any brighter of course, they just make them stand out a little more by filtering out some of the wavelengths of light that the Nebulae don't emit.

They say the best formula for finding the faint fuzzies is aperture and dark skies which you seem to have already :rolleyes:

Hope that helps,

John

Archived