NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam help

kilty74

Hi there guys iam ian I'm new to sgl and new to astronomy and I'm amazed at some the images I've seen here!I have a logitech Quickcam and was wondering if this would do for astronomy! Would like to do moon and planetary?if so could u guys help me me out on how convert webcam and wot I need ie filters barlows and imaging software cheers!

Hi it all depends on which webcam it is , i know the older logitech quickcam 3000 have been used in the past with some sucsess but the most popular type is either the philips spc880 from morgams for about £15 or the more expensive ( but exactly the same ) philips spc 900nc . I bought a few 880s from morgans and they have been great can highly recommend . After that you will need a nose piece for the webcam so it can be inserted into the diagonal or barlow lense , these can be bought all over for anything from £10 - £20 then you will need an IR blocking filter to attached to the end of the nose piece these can be got from many places and are around £15-£30 after that you would be good to go , hope this helps a bit regards Alan .

Archived