NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader RGB set

Really hope someone can help, I'm not gonna buy anything till I know for sure. I spoke to the very nice people at flo but unfortunately they couldn't tell me for sure. Would really appreciate the help

Cheers

One key attribute for filter set is that they are 'parfocal'. This means 'one focus' - that is if you switch filter wheel position then you should not have to refocus due to optical differences in the filters.

Usually parfocal filter sets are more expensive for this reason.

I thought about the same a week ago - I opted for the straight IR/UV cut filter. If you want todo LRGB then you're looking at the cost of a filter wheel too as you will not be able to simply manually switch filters without refocusing, rotating and redoing flats etc after each filter change.

It should do the same job but I'm not sure it's excatly the same one. I have that RGB set and I believe (not that I've tested this) that the RGB filters do not have IR cut built in so I have the IR cut filter in the nosepiece of the filterwheel alongside my LP filter to compensate.

Nick, your filters might be parfocal (most are) but your scope might not be, especially if you're using a refractor as 'fracs don't have absolute colour correction like reflectors. IMO, it's good practice to re-focus between each filter awayway to not only compensate for that but also for any changes in temperature that may change the focus point.

Tony..

Archived