Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Polarscope radial movement problem

Does anyone know if the polarscope's projection should be static or is it common if the image moves radially when turning the axis?

In mine, the centre cross are constantly aligned with a certain point in the image but when rotating the axis the whole image moves radially to the axis of the mount.

Does this has something to do with the internal lenses of the scope? Is it possible to fix or is this common?

It's supposed to rotate to allow you to line up the plough and cassiopia with the correct time and date from the setting circle.

Have you followed the manual to align the recticle for the correct time and date?

Hi Mattias, the polarscope should rotate to allow you to position Polaris at the correct offset by placing it within the smaller guide circle that sits within the larger circle's circumference.

However, there are two issues to be aware of.

The first is that the polar scope needs to be correctly aligned to the mount axis.

If you centre a bright star or distant object (if doing this during the day) on the cross hairs you should be able to rotate the mount through 180 deg in RA and the object or star stays on the cross hairs. If not you need to align your polar scope, which is easily done.

The other issue is that the printed glass reticule can work loose (or not be fixed!) over time. This will cause minor movements during rotation that cause errors. The printed reticule is retained by a ring inside the scope. If you unscrew the polar scope eyepiece you can carefully use a flat blade screwdriver to tighten the retaining clip.

It doesn't need to be very tight so do not force it otherwise you may damage/scratch the reticule.

Most likely just need to align the polar scope though.

Hope that helps

Michael

My does exactly the same thing on my HEQ5 pro, as you turn the mount the point in the distance stays under the crosshairs but the whole image seems to loop over the course of a revolution. I have polar aligned and been able to take unguided images for around a minute with no star trails and over the course of 30 subs of 30s the image only moved approx 10 pixels, so I don't think it has an effect. But would like to know more if anyone knows anything.

My does exactly the same thing on my HEQ5 pro, as you turn the mount the point in the distance stays under the crosshairs but the whole image seems to loop over the course of a revolution. I have polar aligned and been able to take unguided images for around a minute with no star trails and over the course of 30 subs of 30s the image only moved approx 10 pixels, so I don't think it has an effect. But would like to know more if anyone knows anything.

This is the exact thing I'm talking about.

Is this a fault or a "feature"?

The mount is new so it's not a wear of age.

Mine was bought second hand but is only 4 months old. I have only used it a couple of times but I have found the tracking to be fantastic and much better than the HEQ5 I used to own (which was a 4 year old standard upgraded to synscan) in which the reticle didn't appear to loop. I would assume that as the point stays under the crosshair then the mount IS aligned even if it does look a little strange. Maybe it's a new feature!

Archived