NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help on new telescope

Hi everyone I'm ian and sort of new to astronomy! And first time here at sgl and cant wait to hear what u guys have to say. I ve been interested in this for sometime now and just b4 Christmas I was given a telescope by my brother inlaw who took one look through it and put it in the loft! It's a seben 114 100 and I know these scopes ain't good! But it was free.But even wot I have seen through this I'm hooked! Saturn Jupiter and its moons but no real detail at all!!!! So i'am looking to upgrade to a skywatch skyliner 150p dob. Was looking at the 200p but funds can't stretch to it! So guys would this be a good scope for planet detail and dso ?or could u recommend any scope at this price?

Thanks guys good to no I'm at least look at decent scopes! another thing I'm looking to get into is web cam astronomy having seen some of the images on here! Would any of the scopes Mentioned be good for it or would it have to be a motorised or goto scope?

Would consider the 150PL over the 150P, less critical on collimation and eyepieces over the 150P. Easier life.

The 150PL is not that much longer then the 150P so still reasonable for a webcam.

You will need motors for any form of imaging.

You will need the scope on an equitorial mount, not Alt/Az.

You will not need goto, but will need to align the mount accurately.

Cheers guys think I will stick to just looking for now! And get used to seeing and leave the imaging for the time being!! By the I believe Saturn is at opposition tonight can u tell me wot I would see through seben 114 or I do have a 70 az celestron refractor all I seem to get through both is just bright disc with line through it?

got to disagree with capricorn here, the 150P is more versitile than the PL, collimation is a doddle.

Ian, if i was in your shoes tonight i would av it out with the 114 (app rules), what EPs do you have?

I just have to add that when you have become profficient with a dob. webcam use is perfectly possible its not the easiest but it can be done. there was an image last year of the iss taken wth webcam and dob

Archived