Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Endless deals! endless questions and headaches

So I've been searching the net for a decent deal on eyepieces but not having ANY knowledge about such things I'm going round and round in circles, so I'm hoping a few forum members would be so kind as to give me a push in the right direction, bearing in mind I didn't win the lottery this week so I'm not loaded so the best "bang per buck" just to get me started. I can build on my kit as bargains come along later. So to the questions.

Make?

Sizes?

How Many?

Set or separates?

Do I need a Barlow?

Well thats it unless you can think of a question I've missed?

as usual any help would be greatly appeciated :)

It depends heavily on what you're trying to achieve. The best value for money IMHO are bst explorers and tmb planetary clones...but whether they are suitable for what you want, and how many you need depends on what you currently have, what you think of them, and my first sentence.

hi trev Its difficult to recommend eyepieces they are such a personal thing. the best advice ie to get to your nearest club and try and see what suits your scope and eyes, but here are some general eyepiece pointers. sets are not generally good value they often include eyepieces that you will never use or want. You can get a good viewing experience with 3 eyepieces !x low , medium and higher power. Barlows can extend your eyepiece range but you need a good one if you are buying it all together don't forget to do the maths theres no point buying a barlow to extend your eyepiece if you you just end up duplicating the mag of eyepieces you already have sorry I can't be any more help. There is a sticky on eyepieces somewhere that is probably more use

Thanks for the help guys. As for what eyepiece I already have, I don't have one, i got the scope at an auction without one so I'm starting from scratch. So would it be better for me to buy just one or two secondhand eyepieces say 10mm and 25mm and see how that goes. In that way I don't spend too much and I can sell them on if need be for about the same as I paid?

The eyepieces thread linked to earlier should answer a lot of your questions in terms of how many and which focal lengths, it will allow you to ask more specific questions here that would be easier to answer.....we love to debate the pros and cons of different eyepieces!

Thanks, need the information.

The scope is probably a spherical mirror at the f number. As you say not great but it is a start and makes sense to start out inexpensive. I did, many others have and will.

Really you just need a few basic plossl's, or if you fancy planetary's. Planetary's have better eye relief if you wear glasses, also come in a bigger range of focal lengths.

If you wanted just 3 (less cost) then 8mm, 10mm, 20mm

If 4 the I suggest an 8mm, 10mm, 15mm, 25mm.

I have assumed that you will want whatever magnification you can but suggest you go no smaller then the 8mm. The 10mm is for when the 8mm is too small, the remainder are for wider fields of view.

Skys the Limit sell planetary's at a good price (£32-35), otherwise look round for GSO plossl's (£25-30) which have a good name. Check out other sites for their for sale sections if you cannot see the SGL one, also the UK Astro Buy and Sell site.

Where are you, always helps to have a rough idea.

Archived