NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade 5000 series or TMB PLanetary ll

Hi everyone. I cannot decide between a Meade 5000 series 5.5 mm or a TMB Planetary ll 6mm. I have a hole in my collection at the minute for an ep of around this f/length. Any thoughts on which of the two would give the better image would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Damo

which meade 5000?

if it's the plossl, then I would probably save my money and buy the TMB, because I dont think there's much difference in performance, though the build quality in the meade is better, it looks and feels nicer.

if you're talking about a SWA or an UWA, then i'd take either of those over the TMB...though they cost a lot more

What about the 5mm Hyperion to go with the others in your collection?

I had strongly considered the Hyperion but not sure if it would be the right choice as a dedicated planetary ep. There are a lot of glass elements in it and i think the light throughput at this f/l might suffer. I may be wrong though and maybe someone who owns this eyepiece could advise as to its performance.

Archived