Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skymax 127 - Diagonal upgrade

I have just bought the above mentioned scope and was wondering if it is wise to upgrade the standard diagonal?

I also have spotted a likely replacement the William Optics 1.25" Carbon Fibre Dielectric Diagonal looks very good.

The scope comes with a few accessories, star diagonal, 2x barlow, 10 & 25mm eyepieces, view finder - but i imagine that these are just bundled with a new scope purchase to get the user up and running and not meant for the long haul.

Gaz

The supplied accessories (diagonal, barlow(?) anyway) are not too bad. But, if you can afford it, then the slightly dodgy push fit (screw retained) diagonal is [in IMO], the "weakest link" structurally. I'd even go as far to recommend a, T2-threaded, 2" diagonal, to SCREW on to the scope, for maximum versatility. :)

Depends on your budget though... B)

I changed the diagonal in my Mak to the William Optics one that you mention. Has it made much difference? I couldn't honestly say, although in terms of build quality and appearance it wipes the floor with the supplied SW diagonal.

If you are keen to splash some cash you might be better looking at a new ep.

The only "downside" about the mak127 is the very narrrow field of view and quite soon after I got mine I looked at eyepieces that could improve this.

I chose a Meade 32mm super plossl (approx £40) which I love and although it was my first ep, I go back and use this time and time again, even in my dob.

Since then I've picked up a 24mm and an 8mm Hyperion which although more expensive than the Meade at about £90-£100 are very good mid range eyepieces and they seem very popular on here.

Hope this helps, Rob.

The supplied accessories (diagonal, barlow(?) anyway) are not too bad. But, if you can afford it, then the slightly dodgy push fit (screw retained) diagonal is [in IMO], the "weakest link" structurally. I'd even go as far to recommend a, T2-threaded, 2" diagonal, to SCREW on to the scope, for maximum versatility. :)

Depends on your budget though... B)

I think i know what part you are referring to, is it that big plastic round threaded adaptor that the supplied diagonal fits too?

If so i agree that this looks like the weakest link but i had no idea i could change that too, i assumed by getting a better diagonal it would allow more light transmission to the EP as they vary from around 90% to 99%.

I have some very good eyepieces as i knew from the start that they would be a very worthwhile investment as i can use my eyepiece collection on any scope i purchase, now or in the future.

I have a 24mm televue panoptic a 13mm televue nagler and a televue 2x barlow as part of my EP collection.

Does anyone have a link to a T2 threaded 2" diagonal worth considering, suitable for the Skymax 127 Mak.

Don't get me wrong i do not want to waste money for the sake of it, i am just trying to get the best i can out of my scope without going OTT.

The way i see it is the scope's lenses and mirrors are finely tuned to get you the best view possible out of your chosen scope and if anything is optically inferior after the focal point you are losing out, so it seems wise to buy accessories that get the best from the scope.

Gaz

My WO CF 1.25" diagonal is limited to 25mm internally so could cause vignetting on eyepieces with a wide field of view. The largest field stop on 1.25" eyepieces seems to be 27mm, for example on the TV 32mm plossl and 24mm Panoptic. I would go for a threaded model if you can find one.

Does anyone have a link to a T2 threaded 2" diagonal worth considering, suitable for the Skymax 127 Mak. Don't get me wrong i do not want to waste money for the sake of it, i am just trying to get the best i can out of my scope without going OTT.
Yes. :)

T2 MAXBRIGHT Zenitspiegel - beidseitig T2 Anschluss

They are quite expensive... but, if you are already prepared to invest in Teleview eyepieces? <G> On the plus side, it will allow you to use 2" eyepieces (e.g. 32mm / 70 deg - Even a Pan35?) to deliver the widest (conveniently) possible field with the MAK. At a more reasonable price, you can buy an adaptor from FLO, to allow budget 2" diagonals and accessories. Look under "Adapters" for the: Skywatcher Maksutov to SCT adapter. B)

Thanks i have now found the adaptor that you mention at FLO, which gives me something to consider.

I have been looking at this revelation diagonal and think it will fit directly to the Mak to SCT adaptor and i have read a few posts on the revelation diagonal and it sounds good.

Gaz

I think that the benefit from expensive diagonals gives you less per pound spent than almost anything I can think of in astronomy, to be honest. I have three, supposedly good, bad and indifferent, and there is precious little to choose between them. I put the expensive one in the TEC140 because it looks nicer!

Olly

Cheers Olly that makes me think not to waste to much cash on a diagonal as it does seem that they are better to look at than look through.

I might just get a 1.25" dielectric as i am only going to use 1.25" eyepieces with this scope anyway, williams optics or the revelation seem to fit the reasonable price bracket.

Gaz

• 1 year later...

Archived