Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD cameras, advice would be appreciated

LunarLight

Hey Guys

Currently im using a nikon D300 unmodified camera to image. I am unable to mod the camera as its not actually mine but I am really interested in a cooled CCD camera so that I have the option to do HA and narrow band images.

I am using a skywatcher 200p can anyone recommend a reasonably priced camera that would match well with the 200p and that would be ok to use with a fair amount of LP?

Also does anyone know of any places which sells them second hand?

Thanks

Mark

Second hand CCD's can be bought on Astro Buy Sell here, put your search in and keep looking. I guess something will eventually come up. Alternatively scour the for sale section on here. I am watching, and they come up occassionally, so just keep your eye's peeled!!

As to which CCD, sorry, but I have no idea on that one. I am hankering after an Atik 314L after seeing the images on here with it, but there's loads to choose from.

I have the Atik 314L and I love it. Can't say enough good things about it, personally. I image with both my Orion EON80ED and my Celestron CPC800 with it. Everyone I know that has one loves it and I found it to be a reasonable price compared to some ccds.

hey guys thanks for the replies :D

I was seriously considering getting the Atik 314L my concern is that with the 200p, the field of view will be to small to capture many objects like the M45 for example. Im wondering whether it might be worth saving an extra 500 for the new 383L as it has a slightly bigger chip... hmm

The 314L has the sony 285 chip, which is very sensitive and very low noise. It's the same chip as the SXV H9, Atik 16HR and others....a brilliant chip and it's a shame they don't make a bigger version.

The 383L has the Kodak 8300 chip....much bigger but a fair bit less sensitive and considerably noisier, but you get a much wider FOV with it.

I have cameras with both of these chips (16HR & SXVF H18)

Even with the 383L, you won't be able to fit the Pleides into the FOV with your 200P.

If you want to go for the really big targets, like the North America nebula, The Rosette, Pleides etc, you will need a shorter focal length scope, an ED80 type of scope being ideal.

With the 314L, you'll get a good FOV for galaxies with the 200P, but a bit small for many nebulae.

If you want to see what you can expect, download Ron Wodaski's CCDCalc, and input your scope and camera combination.

Cheers

Rob

hmmm great info!

its really something to think about. It is a much larger field of view with the 383l and I really dont want to go down the road of replacing my scope just yet, with the 383l/200p I get a fairly decent field of view, I can fit the double cluster in which I cant do with the 314

Im curious, how much less sensitive and noisier is the 383 compared with the 314? is the image produced noticeably poorer then than the 314 or is it just a case of getting quality darks/flats/bias etc?

Also can I use a focal reducer with a reflector?

Unfortunately you can't use a focal reducer with a reflector due to the appalling coma that you'll get....much worse than a normal coma corrector can deal with.

There are focal reducer/corrector type thingy's made for newtonians, but they are tailored to particular scopes amd really expensive....well over £1k....ASA astrosystems do them for their newtonian astrographs and Orion Optics UK use thier wynn corrector for their AG range.

The 8300 chip is considerably less sensitive than the 285 chip, but this says more about how great the 285 chip is than anything negative about the 8300.

It's also a lot noisier, but nothing a good set of darks can't deal with.

Rob

Always difficult, size/price/sensitivity trade-offs when buying a CCD. I agree with Rob entirely. The 285 is a great chip (eg Atik 314L) for a first CCD because it makes life so easy. As does Atik software, by the way. But a bigger chip is nice to have. You can take wonderfyul pictures with both.

If you do go for a small chip you could consider a camera lens adapter for wide field, espcially in narrowband where the fast f ratio is good to have. I have just started imaging this way over this winter and have loved it.

It's only money!

Olly

Archived