Budget of £200 for my first scope

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a sw explorer 130 in January and am pleased as punch with it.

A friend of mine (who showed me Saturn 18 months ago and started all this for me!) has the 150 so I'd used his eq mount and had a look through one of his mates matsukovs. At the end of the day it came down to price for me.

For £200 you could get the sw 130 and a couple of plossl ep's.

Well I'm liking the 8" Dob Skyliner pretty much, even found a few youtube videos how results look and setting the thing up....didn't realise is was quite as big as it really is.

Think I'll stretch the extra cash for this one, as for maps/books, already downloaded Stellarium and have been checking the night skys getting a feel for it with the naked eye (Sunday and Monday nights were pretty clear, bright skies where I am).

Thanks for the replies, just need to find the cheapest place to buy, first result was here - Sky Watcher SKYLINER-200 203mm (8") f/1200 Parabolic Dobsonian

At £286 inc. delevery it seems but I'll keep looking for a slightly cheaper deal.

I'm also set on a Skyliner 200P but been unable to find any stock for the last few weeks. The cheapest I found was Skyliner 200P Dobsonian Telescope | Telescopes | Rother Valley Optics

but as with all the other UK supplier I tried (inc FLO), it is out of stock.

If I wait much longer I will give in and end up going for the 250PX, but being my first scope I didn't really want to spend too much

Archived