NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar advice

Hi guys,

I'm um'ing and arr'ign over getting a H-alpha solar setup, primarily for imaging. The maximum budget is going to be around £2000 for scope and filters (I have everything else already - famous last words!)

My main decision is do I go for a short refractor (e.g. Skywatcher Equinox 80 PRO APO) and a filter set, or a dedicated solar scope? The multi-purpose approach seems better, as I currently only have an SCT, so this would give me a decent widefield setup too (especially with a focal reducer).

However, this is complicated by looking at what Lunt has to offer. The LS60THa (with B1200) comes in at around £1400. I'm guessing a LS50FHa filter set is going to be at least £1500 (can't find anywhere that advertises prices) with the Equinox 80 at £500, so it seems cheaper to get 2 scopes! I guess the Lunt scope works out cheaper because it can use a smaller internal etalon - does this degrade imaging at all?

If I do end up going for 2 scopes, the other option is DIYing something with a PST and a cheaper refractor, which would be a lot lot cheaper, but probably not going to compare to the Lunt?

Many thanks,

Chris

First of all the 80mm modded PST will beat the pants of any 60mm Lunt or SM40/ SM60 Coronado!!! I have an 88mm modded PST.

I started with a PST then went to the SM40, then double stacked with the PST....went for a SM60 front filter -fitted to a ED80 - fantastic! Now I have a double stacked SM60+SM60 with a DMK41 for solar imaging.

I recently set up the SM60 front filter double stacked with a PST etalon at the rear and the views were fantastic!!

IMHO a front filter on your choice of telescope (you don't need an APO for solar - one one wavelength Ha) gives better opportunity for variation - the fixed focal lengths of the SolarMax or Lunt scopes limit some of the imaging (and viewing options)

I agree with Ken re the potential of a 80mm modded PST but would add the caveat that the donor 80mm scope must be F10 or slower, anything shorter then the PST configuration will automatically stop the aperture to F10.

Thanks for he advice! The PST modding route is very tempting. How tricky is it e.g. is it very sensitive to spot on alignment etc.?

Think I'll keep my eyes on the 2nd hand market for a bit longer to see if a PST comes up for grabs before I crumble :D Don't think I'd survive modding a brand new one!

• 2 months later...
If you drop me a PM with your email address I'll send you a copy of my modding PST write-up (6Mb)

Pretty straight forward.

Very interested in the possibilities of this mod too. I've been a little frustrated at the size of the image in my stacked PST (I'm not into astrophotography yet) during normal viewing with a 8 to 25mm Hyperion zoom. I know this is a "noobish" question but is there an increase in image magnification going down this route or is it just gains is resolution and brightness? Merlin66, would you mind if I emailed you my details to obtain your write up?

Archived