SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help needed 10" newt and astrophotography

Hi all, I wonder if SGL can help...

I've recently acquired a 10" newt with a 2" focused draw tube. On my 6" scope I'm able to couple my t-ring directly to the drawtube which provides a nice and stable set up...

But on the new scope I don't have - and can't seem to find - a suitable coupler that will allow me to attach a t-ring directly to the drawtube. I can use a t-adapter locked in to the EP holder in the usual way but this just doesn't seem as secure as when I can screw the t-ring right on to the drawtube...

So am I worrying about nothing or should I be looking for an adapter to directly couple my DSLRs to the drawtube?

Thanks in advance!

I would just put a 2 inch nosepiece onto the camera adapter. Screw on is better but I use a nosepiece for ease with our CCD setups.

However, a DSLR and a Dob are not likely to work well together since you will have no tracking. Using a webcam in a Dob for planetary and lunar can be done quite well though.

Olly

I would just put a 2 inch nosepiece onto the camera adapter. Screw on is better but I use a nosepiece for ease with our CCD setups.

However, a DSLR and a Dob are not likely to work well together since you will have no tracking. Using a webcam in a Dob for planetary and lunar can be done quite well though.

Olly

Thanks for the reply Olly. I've tried a 2" nosepiece as well as a 1.25" and an EP adapter but neither seem particularly solid and I am a little worried that the shutter release on my DSLRs might cause some movement.

It's not a Dob, by the way, but a GEM mounted Newt...

Cheers, Ian

I use a 2" nosepiece to hold a 1.4Kg spectroscope and a CCD and a DSLR onto my C9.25. Touch wood, it hasn't given me any problems so far. I would recommend however always having a "safety strap" fitted.

Sorry about the Dob boo-boo. Don't know where I got that from!!

I agree with Ken since I hang heavy stuff from a nosepiece but maybe your adapter is not a good fit with the focuser. This often arises from those wretched don't-get-me-started brass compression rings.

If you are worried, put a teather between the camera and the scope. I do this always. For orthogonality just be sure to push the camera inwards as you lock up the screw(s).

Olly

Hi all, I wonder if SGL can help...

I've recently acquired a 10" newt with a 2" focused draw tube.

Hi

Not sure if this helps but I've used the configuration shown in the attached link with my C10-N and Canon DSLR with no problems.

https://picasaweb.google.com/WelfordObservatory/C10CameraMount?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuurbv7ipC3yAE&feat=directlink

The pictures show how the adapter is put together - something I had to learn the hard way as I couldn't get the camera to focus. I was trying to use the tube adapter that I use on my ED-80 instead of screwing the t-ring directly into the 2" adapter - this got the chip close enough to focus. Hope it works out for you.

David

Archived