NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First images of staurn with SPC900 and SW150P

jayjt29

Should have posted this in image section, mods please move. Thanks

Well after an hour of messing around in the back garden last night, fighting cloud i managed to capture Saturn with the spc900 and my SW150p.

This was only the second time i had even seen Saturn so im happy with the results:

Capture 3_27_2011 11_16_01 PM - Copy.avi - 33.94MB

Saturn 3_27_2011 11_16_36 PM - Copy.avi

I was hoping to manual guide Saturn and use Registax to get a half decent picture of the planet. This proved impossible!! (for me last night) The planet was moving at a great rate of knotts accross the field of view and the slightest movment by me on the decking or near the telescope tracking knobs the image wobbled to much.

Ive asked in other threads but thought id post the videos and see what people think and to get some tips for my next venture! Im thinking duel motors are the way forward... What settings do you guys use for Saturn on the spc900.

*edit* Ignore the ads on the link wait around 5 seconds and the play button appears..

Thanks

Jay

hi jay that was lots of adverts .

saturn was moving quick eh?

im the same as you but i did manage to get some kind of still from sharpcap and registax (see image section) ,yeah i think we need motors but as soon as the moon comes back in play ill do some practicing.as for settings all i do is yuy2 for comp,10fps and res 640x480.

it would be good to see what else you come up with!

Cheers 4lefts, as you can see im a newbie too although the following will help;

I thinks its near impossible to track an object like Saturn with manual controls, even if you touch the control Saturn moves 'alot' across the FOV.

Only yesterday i read about the programme Castrator, which basically creats a still image from a moving image... Best read about it yourself as im not really explaining it well!

What i would do is; Find your object focus it. move your controller so the object is just out of screen. Use Sharpcap to record your AVI setting it at about 200 a frame capture press capture as the object is in view. Should finish before it leaves the view, then use Castrator to center the AVI, then Rigistax then Gimp.

Ive found the best results using Sharpcap are gain nearly all the way up, the rest in the middle. Start with a low amount of frames less chance for it to go wrong! lol

Hope this helps,

Jay

Nice one Jay :icon_eek:

Castrator really helps a lot, you can try for longer avi's next time just try to softly move saturn back across the screen and it settles down after it's finished shaking around and you can get a couple of minutes maybe by going back and forth.

Pibbles, now i know about Castrator imaging with no motors will be alot easier, im suprised i hadnt read about it before.

Mike, used the standard x2 Barlow you get with a Skywatcher scope.

The images can only get better from here lol

Jay :icon_eek:

Archived