Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5 as guide/planatery imaging camera?

Mark-mck

Evening all.

i'm contemplating investing in the QHY5 as mainly a guide camera and also to try a bit of planetary imaging.

thus far i've been taking unguided images of dso's i'm happy enough with what i've been getting but know that guiding is not far down the road.

i'd welcome any feedback on the QHY5, mainly i'd like to know if it's a good guide camera and also if anyone has any images taken with it i'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

I have been using one for the last few weeks as a guide camera with great results, its a great little camera and very easy to use.

I have not yet tried it as an imager on planets but I do intend to, one of these nights.

I do believe and correct me if I am wrong that there are two versions of the camera. One more suited as a guide camera (the one I have) and another version that is also good to use for both planetary imaging and guiding.

I think you will find that they are widely used by the people here.

Hi,

I purchased the QHY5t from Modern Astronomy 6 months or so back and to be honest I struggled with it as a newbie. The camera came with no instructions regarding set up and how to use the software. I really struggled with it and finally gave up. Here the link to the thread I started:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/119896-qhy5t-colour-planetary-camera-help.html#post1587105

To be honest it was probably my lack of knowledge and my equipment that was the problem rather than the camera. Its a well made professional looking bit of kit.

I've just purchased a new scope and mount and I have purchased an adaptor for the camera that fits it to the 9x50 guide scope. This converts the scope for guiding and having spoken to various people regarding this they assure me that the system really does work. so I'm looking forward to trying out all my new kit and having another bash with the QHY5t on my new 80ED DS Pro Apo.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Clear Skies!

Mark

Evening all.

i'm contemplating investing in the QHY5 as mainly a guide camera and also to try a bit of planetary imaging.

thus far i've been taking unguided images of dso's i'm happy enough with what i've been getting but know that guiding is not far down the road.

i'd welcome any feedback on the QHY5, mainly i'd like to know if it's a good guide camera and also if anyone has any images taken with it i'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

The QHY5 is the defacto standard guide camera of choice for most people. Good value, ST4 port, USB port, lightweight, etc. Pairs really nicely with an ST80 refractor or a finder guider or other guide scope.

As far as imaging goes, it's not great from the results I've seen. Ok, but not brilliant, a webcam can do just as good if not better.

Mike

As far as imaging goes, it's not great from the results I've seen. Ok, but not brilliant, a webcam can do just as good if not better.

Well, that depends which webcam you have in mind. CMOS true HD webcams should provide similar performance for planetary/lunary imaging (but you are limitted to color). Older webcams like SPC880/900 can't compete with more modern cameras and webcams. They may have less noise but in overall they aren't that close to the QHY5* and similar webcams.

Archived