Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury 23-02-11

Mamsoth

Had to have a go at little Mercury this evening even though it was through some thin cloud.

Not the most amazing result but i'm glad I just got the planet before it slipped below the trees.

Wasn't much time for fine focus or optimum camera settings but as I say I'm just happy I got it.

Taken with an Atik 2-hs at around 19:15 using my Skywatcher Dob on my Equatorial mount

post-19473-133877551381_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on capturing Mercury - it's always a difficult target.

There is a definite phase there. What size dob is it?

That would be 23-03-11?:p

It's a 12 incher (ooh matron :D). But I realised yesterday evening (which was the 23-03!!!-11:p) that i must have bashed her on a previous night as the secondary is way out even though It has been spot on until now, so lots of obsessive and frustrating collimation today....YIPEE!!!!

Using the dob sat on an uneven platform (as I've misplaced the leg adjustment screws) was so frustrating and meant I ended up with a result that the more I look at it the less pleased I am with it. Maybe I'll try with my 5" refractor tonight if it stays clear.

Excellent! I also captured Mercury yesterday and the day before. I might have another go tonight if this fair weather holds.

I found it's quite difficult to see detail on.

Archived