Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ alaignment question

CThody

Hi. I am sorry f this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it... I am having a go at drift aligning my EQ5. What I am not sure about is the place of polar alignment if using drift alignment. (Probably a daft question, but I am baffled!)

Should the mount be polar aligned first (with the polar scope) and then drift aslign, or is drift alignment sufficient?

Any clarity most welcome!

Thanks in anticipation.

If you get a rough PA first this will assist with drift aligning. It also helps (but is not essential) if your mount is reasonably level.

I tend to PA using the polar scope and then drift align.

Thanks for the reply. As I have a Synscan, do I presume I have to go through the GOTO setup procedure and alignment before doing this so that the motors are engaged and working? Or do I just setup date time etc and do the star alignment later?

The polar alignment and Goto are two different things. PA will affect tracking accuracy. 3 star (or other alignment) will affect Goto pointing accuracy.

Level mount

Set home position

I roughly PA using scope

Drift align

N-star alignment (if you're using synscan then maybe do a 3 star.

If you are moving to different areas of the sky you may need to do another goto alignment throughout the session...or if you are using EQmod then you can simply add more points to the calculation model, but unless you knock the mount the polar alignment will not change.

HTH

Michael

PS I didn't say hello....sorry :D

Thanks, I will... I got very confused as to whether the mount motors should be running or not, but of course they have to! Doh! Hoping for some clear skies this weekend to try out eh C8 I've just bought and attempt better alignment!

Archived