After me first night of viewing I have some questions.

Greetings all,

Bought my first telescope at the weekend (Skywatcher 130m) and took it out for a spin in my old village. Not much clue as to what I was doing I aimed at various parts of the sky, then got star walk out which told me where jupiter was and that pleased me finding and viewing that. Also saw a shooting star and a couple of satellites.

I intend on becoming much more proficient and that was certainly a trial run, but I do have some questions:

1. I bought a T mount and connector to my Lumix G1 and it wont stay on the eyepiece properly, i don't know if I'm doing it wrong or I don't have all the equipment I need. I'm attaching the the T mount to the eyepieces after removing the rubber eye rest, but when I tighten the bolt it pushes the eyepiece of, and if i leave it there the camera falls off due to the weight. i'm using the standard eyepieces that came with the skywatcher, so is it me or them?

2. Is there a way to keep the telescope steadier when adjusting the focus, when I turn it it wobbles like crazy and it's hard to tell whether it's in focus or not.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Hi Pinky, can't help with the first question but you have the same scope as me. Mine wobbles a fair bit, just gotta be gentle with it, also is it balanced properly? I found when I moved the scope down in the rings (in order to sit down to view) the wobbles were worse. P.S. I'm a newbie to this astronomy lark so I may be off the mark a bit!

The only way to improve the stability is to replace the mount with an EQ2-3, or better still EQ5. The EQ1 is not the most stable platform, especially when trying to attach cameras. You could try investing in an motorised focuser for around £50 which would reduce the vibrations a bit

The T ring should have a fitting for your SLR camera This maybe a screw fitting or bayonet type that slots and locks. This then has a thread which allows either direct connection to the focuser or to a projection eyepiece. I don't think you can screw it to the top of a fixed eyepiece as you would not be able to adjust the focus distance between the eyepiece and camera sensor.

The T ring should have a fitting for your SLR camera This maybe a screw fitting or bayonet type that slots and locks. This then has a thread which allows either direct connection to the focuser or to a projection eyepiece. I don't think you can screw it to the top of a fixed eyepiece as you would not be able to adjust the focus distance between the eyepiece and camera sensor.

Yep got the fitting for camera which locks in, then have the tread which has a bolt on and that does accept the eyepiece inside it, just wont let me tighten the bolt. Used both the 25mm and super 10mm that came with the telescope. So a different eyepiece would be needed then?

Have you got a local Astronomy Group that you could go to one of their meetings? It actually sounds like you had a good first night and saw some good stuff. It also sounds like you suffered from the common problem of focusing and mount shake. There are numerous solutions to this ranging from practical methods to spending money on new mount!!! Your local group should give you some pointers before you jump either way.

The only way to improve the stability is to replace the mount with an EQ2-3, or better still EQ5. The EQ1 is not the most stable platform, especially when trying to attach cameras. .

Gotta agree with Malc. I've got the same scope which came with an EQ1, the mount is very unstable, constant shake, you only have to breath on it, you would certainly struggle with photography. I upgraded to an EQ5...massive difference!! This is a really good stable mount, I can even lean on it and once I lost my balance and fell against it, didn't move an inch. I would strongly recommend you upgrade, fifnances allowing of course, will cost you approx £200

Gotta agree with Malc. I've got the same scope which came with an EQ1, the mount is very unstable, constant shake, you only have to breath on it, you would certainly struggle with photography. I upgraded to an EQ5...massive difference!! This is a really good stable mount, I can even lean on it and once I lost my balance and fell against it, didn't move an inch. I would strongly recommend you upgrade, fifnances allowing of course, will cost you approx £200

Mine came with an EQ2

Archived