How heavy are Astrozap dewshields??!!

A used 12" Astrozap dewshield came up for sale and I bought it for £20. It was pretty badly packaged and the PO inevitably damaged (crushed and split) it. Although damaged I could not be bothered sending it back and tried a PO claim. As I did not wish to entrust it to them again they would only let me have a book of stamps. The buyer didn't offer a reduction and I really couldn't be mithered arguing over it. :hello2:

Anyway, it's perfectly usable and I had to reduce the diameter a little (just moved the velcro a couple of inches) to get it to fit.

I was surprised at the weight and putting it on my 12" dob was a waste of time. Even without an eyepiece in and my weight system moved right down the scope, it was nowhere near balanced! I will therefore be unlikely to use it and may offer it cheap at SGL6 for anyone with a 12" SCT or similar as it really needs to be used for that sort of set up I feel.

So, a warning, don't buy one if you have balance issues as it will probably create even more. I have resorted to my (pretty much free) 'crazy foam' one I 'made earlier'.

Hi Shane, I use one for the 925 and have no problem with it, thing is it is fitted with a Moonlite, William Optics diagonal and I now usually start with the Panoptic as well :hello2:

on the scope menu it has a function to re-callibrate the balance, although I may be pushing it to its limit but have to say I have had no problem with it tracking objects so far.

I also used an Astrozap with my 6se, thats when I bought the 4 o/p controller which I still have. :hello2:

Hi Shane, I use one for the 925 and have no problem with it, thing is it is fitted with a Moonlite, William Optics diagonal and I now usually start with the Panoptic as well :hello2:

on the scope menu it has a function to re-callibrate the balance, although I may be pushing it to its limit but have to say I have had no problem with it tracking objects so far.

I also used an Astrozap with my 6se, thats when I bought the 4 o/p controller which I still have. :hello2:

cheers Alan, I agree, I think these can only be useful on SCTs and the like and maybe refractors but not dobs..

cheers Alan, I agree, I think these can only be useful on SCTs and the like and maybe refractors but not dobs..

so it would seem mate, someone should take it off your hands if they want a decent one for their scope, I am sure you'll sell it at SGL6 :hello2:

I use an AE one with my 10" OO newt - it's not too heavy but the newt is in tube rings so easy to adjust for balance.

I find it very useful but I guess a camping mat one would do just as good a job. Mine was a SnS Astroboot item so cost less than a camping mat !.

Was that an aluminum dew shield or a plastic one? I have both here, the aluminum one being much heavier than the plastic one. I barely have to add any weight to the front of my scope when using the aluminum one, it's so heavy. It also makes my scope look twice as long and "bad-azz" to the uninitiated.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived