Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Attaching finder base to Megrez 88

As the owner of an old Darkstar dob I'm somewhat accustomed to just drilling some more holes in the tube when I acquire a new accessory to go on it so a William Optics Megrez 88FD is something of a culture shock for me (For once I have actually read the instruction booklet).

Anyway it says I should attach the base at point A (currently filled with a grub screw) but I rather fancied attaching it at point B as this is on the rotating section of the focuser and so would align with it when rotated. Does anyone know what hole B is supposed to be for?

Also has anyone attached a Skywatcher type shoe to a WO scope? If so were there any problems? (Just being ultra cautious with my lovely new grab and go scope!)

Thanks for any help:icon_salut:

Realising the font on the photo has turned out to be a little smaller than I thought the one ringed on the left is A and the one on the right is B :hello2:

post-14514-133877549809_thumb.jpg

Bothe holes are correct for mounting a finder. You do have to make sure you use the proper short screw though so that you don't foul anything inside.

All you need is a standard Synta type mounting shoe and then drill and countersink one new hole in it about 1/3rd of the way back from the front edge and then it will fit on to point "B" OK.

John

Thanks John... so that grub screw in hole B isn't holding the scope together then? :hello2:

PS Do you know what the thread is (I notice from the dovetail fixings on the rings that WO like to mix and match imperial and metric sizes!)

Archived