NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher EQ6 with non original GPS?

mattias

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Synta modded the EQ6 on the last software update to stop any standrs GPS unit working with it which forces you to use the Synta GPS.

No idea if thats true as I just use an IPhone to get my GPS dataand punch it ino the moung manually.

The iPhone is an alternative, of course!

I bought the SkySafari app and it seems to support the SW EQ6. Just point at the object and "Goto". Just need a special iPhone cable or their WiFi adapter connected to the EQ6 to make it work.

But how can they block the standard NMEA in the SW? :hello2:

But when it comes to ordinary "GPS-mouses", it's a little strange that SW would block the NMEA standard.

Its just a ploy sell their overpriced GPS units. Older versions of the synscan firmware would work with any NMEA GPS and so folks bought cheaper ones instead - that wasn't in Skywatcher's best interests so they took action to prevent it.

Chris.

Archived