Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help Please, DSO's and DSS

This is my first proper attempt at DSO. It should be the Flame Neb but I just cant get anything out of it. Not sure I like DSS but new to it!

145x 15s subs (Not enough?)

10 Darks

10 Flats

I once took a 60s of same area and got loads of detail. DSS stacked 142 of the 145 so assumed results would be better. The pic is after PS and curves etc.

Any advice? Canon 30d ISO 1000

Cheers

post-24182-13387754884_thumb.jpg

Just doesn't seem to be enough data there. There also appears to be some severe streaking... I suspect thin high altitude cloud has streaked across some of your subs.

You've also got the same weird diffraction pattern on Alnitak as I get.. interesting.

Looks like you used very little the saturation fungtion in DSS?

after stacking, and aligning the RGB channels, set saturation to +20-25%, and save as TIF 16 bit after roughly adjusting teh levels to have same brightness as the pic you attached already here.

Then, if possible, upload that uncompressed TIF somewhere for us to download, and it will be a lot easier to give it a try. :hello2:

Edit: but i can clearly see the flame nebula in your pic, so the date Is there, just very hard to extract from a compresset 8-bit jpg...

A useful tutorial reference from Zakalwi there and a good starting point for image processing.

The one thing I would point out is that there is an option in the DSS settings for aligning the RGB so it does it for you, rather than having to do it manually after stacking.

Regards

John

It was taken through the Reflector so no dewing probs, unless Primary got any on it? Is that possible?

I will upload decent picture later after running it through DSS again with aforementioned tutorial now read and understood.

Thanks

Archived