Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar 6SE alignment

Hi

I have had a Nexstar 6SE for around 3 years and I am pleased with it. One problem has just started to happen and I wondered if anyone had experienced the same issue or has any ideas how to solve it.

I carry out the 3 star alignment procedure and that goes fine. The mount is level and the Power tank is fully charged. When I select an object to move to, the scope stops just a little off the selected position. Using the arrow keys it will happily move gently left, right or down but does not want to go up. Invariably, it has positioned itself just below my desired object.

For the moment I am simply undoing the alignment and just using the controls to swing around to my chosen object. Of course, I then lose the tracking facility so I would like to sort this problem out. :)

Any ideas?

Best wishes

Martin

West Sussex

THis has never happened with my NexStar - sounds strange. I've often read that strange problems like this can be resolved by flashing the controller to the latest version - but I've not yet had to do that myself, and it may not be your problem.

I have not tried a 1 or 2 star alignment. When I de-sync the 'scope and just use the arrow keys to direct it to my desired object, it behaves perfectly.

I have not checked for the latest software for the motors or handset so that may be a solution. I wondered whether I had an incorrect setting set in the anti-backlash feature. It seems to jerk a little bit when it is reaching the object having selected something from the menu.

Optically, I have no problems but it is just the software / go-to features which are causing the problems.

Such a shame on a gloriously clear night like we have at the moment down here is West Sussex.

Martin

1. Is your scope well balanced?

2. It is a "well known" issue with the SE mount that the alt clutch wears & needs occasional adjustment. I believe there are instructions for doing the job somewhere on the "Cloudy Nights" site.

I believe it is well balanced as it seems fine when moving around and, up until now, it has always tracked objects accurately.

I will certainly have a look on the 'cloudy nights' site

Many thanks

Archived