Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galaxy number 400!

mdstuart

Finally made it last night to my 400th galaxy.

398 was NGC 2775 a caldwell galaxy. Its a relatively bright oval that can be held with direct vision in the constellation of cancer.

399 was NGC 3437 a small oval shaped object in line with two field stars. Looks like this one has had a supernova in recent times according to the internet.

400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turns out to be a faint circular glow mag 11.85 sbr 13.5. I now recognise these objects by their low sbr ro be face on spirals. When I looked this one up sure enough its a fine spiral galaxy. It was on APOD! So a good one for number 400.

It is apparantly similar in size and grand design to the milky way and lies about 100 million light-years away toward the constellation Leo. Apparantly it has proved sharp enough to study individual cephids which was used to accurately determine this galaxy's distance. In 1994 it was also home to a well studied stellar explosion -- a type Ia supernova.

So there you are onwards to 500?

Mark

Finally made it last night to my 400th galaxy.

398 was NGC 2775 a caldwell galaxy. Its a relatively bright oval that can be held with direct vision in the constellation of cancer.

399 was NGC 3437 a small oval shaped object in line with two field stars. Looks like this one has had a supernova in recent times according to the internet.

400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! turns out to be a faint circular glow mag 11.85 sbr 13.5. I now recognise these objects by their low sbr ro be face on spirals. When I looked this one up sure enough its a fine spiral galaxy. It was on APOD! So a good one for number 400.

It is apparantly similar in size and grand design to the milky way and lies about 100 million light-years away toward the constellation Leo. Apparantly it has proved sharp enough to study individual cephids which was used to accurately determine this galaxy's distance. In 1994 it was also home to a well studied stellar explosion -- a type Ia supernova.

So there you are onwards to 500?

Mark

Very good going, but which one of the many galaxies in Leo was it?

Are you saying you saw your 400th galaxy on APOD rather than at the scope? Only kidding, good haul.

In my case, I wonder if observing the same galaxies repeatedly count towards 400 galaxies? I can stare at M31, M33, M51 or the pair of M81 & M82 for ages without tiring of the view.

Mark

Archived