Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

13.8v Regulated Mains Supply

Good old fashioned linear technology... and all the better for it...

There will be a couple of 4mm binding posts on the front of the unit...

What do you use for the connections at the moment?

If you use the Car Accessories plugs then get a 4 way wired adaptor, remove the plug from the end and connect it to the terminals - if you slightly unscrew the knurled knobs there will probably be a hole to pass the stripped end of the cable through...

Watch the polarity when you connect up it wants to be tip +ve body -ve...

Billy...

What do you use for the connections at the moment?

At the moment I use an ac adapter, and I believe this is the reason the scope blew.

There will be a couple of 4mm binding posts on the front of the unit...

Are these the red and black knobs?

Palstar PS-06s 13.8V regulated supplies

Do you plug this straight into the mains supply? I like the look of this unit as it it straight forward with plugging the cigarette lighter socket in the front.

Thanks for the replies people.

Do you plug this straight into the mains supply?

Yes, just plugs into the mains, then the 'scope (or dew controller) plugs into the cigarette socket at the front. In my experience el cheapo power supplies that can't supply a constant voltage are a constant source of niggles with mounts, so a regulated supply is well worthwhile. Would recommend the PS-06 very highly, had mine for four or five years and never given a moment's trouble. Reasonably priced too.

Obviously the dew controller doesn't require a regulated supply, I just use the second PS-06 because I have one spare.

Just ordered the Palstar PS-06, I like the simplicity off plugging in the cigarette lighter socket and away you go.

Thanks for all the useful advice, gratefully recieved as usual.

I bought the Maplin unit (the XM21X, rated at 7A but 5A continuous) on Saturday. I anticipate running the EQ6 and a 12V/20W dew heater, so should only be drawing less than 4A. This was after we had to keep swapping 3 powertanks the other night...

Only tested running the mount last night as the weather made us give up early. It seemed to run fine...

PByrne

This type of PSU is used widely. Whether the 3amp version is sifficient depends on what you intend to power. If it's a small mount then 3amp will be sufficient (for example an HEQ5 pulls upto 2amp when slewing on both motors) but you need a little headroom above that. But once you start to add other items then a larger unit might be more appropriate.

You do realise that these types of units are intended for internal use in a well ventilated environment. That's why they're called Bench PSU's! They are not suited for uses where they might get damp. I certainly wouldn't use one externally without ensuring that the very large, powerful, dangerous transformer lurking inside the casing can't come into contact with moisture. You can probably get away with it in an obsy if it's protected in some way

If you are intending to use it outside, I'd recommend one of the sealed unit type adapters, preferably regulated for a mount

Steve

I understand your concerns Steve, but the scope will be set up next to one of two sheds and I plan to put the regulator inside the shed. That will ensure that it is out of the outside moist air and there will be plenty of air for it to operate in.

Doesn't the heat generated prevent dew formation?

It may help but I wouldn't risk it. I've heard one blow.. and it's loud and wrecked what was connected to it. It was on a construction site and in slightly misty conditions. The idiot who decided it would be OK to use one to power his laptop(!) should have known better when waterproofed three phase is the standard for small items. The letter from HSE was not complimentary

Steve

Archived